2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Easiest/Least Expensive ways to add power/performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D in CT
"Otherwise, we will send out thugs to your house and mug you and make you do it anyway. In the freezing cold without a shirt".

This guy's from Texas - I'd do my plenum if I was you. (They look a lot easier when you're staring down the barrel of a .44).
I wonder if you can get the stuck bolt out by shooting them.....

Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerogauge
LoL, so for the plenum what parts do I need? A plenum gasket and what is the plate called?
Oddly enough, it's called a plenum plate

Read ALLLLLL about the plenum repair in the sticky at the top of the main pages. The absolute basics are plenum plate and gasket, intake manifold gaskets, and probably a few other doo-dads; you can make a weekend of it and also do the "kegger mod" (cutting down the runners in the inside of the intake manifold), injector o-rings, timing gears and chain, water pump, belts, hoses, radiator flush, cap, wires ... and you might as well add that turbo while you're in there.

"I wonder if you can get the stuck bolt out by shooting them..... "

What, that's not how you guys do it? lol

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by John D in CT
Oddly enough, it's called a plenum plate

Read ALLLLLL about the plenum repair in the sticky at the top of the main pages. The absolute basics are plenum plate and gasket, intake manifold gaskets, and probably a few other doo-dads; you can make a weekend of it and also do the "kegger mod" (cutting down the runners in the inside of the intake manifold), injector o-rings, timing gears and chain, water pump, belts, hoses, radiator flush, cap, wires ... and you might as well add that turbo while you're in there.

"I wonder if you can get the stuck bolt out by shooting them..... "

What, that's not how you guys do it? lol
.44's ain't cheap.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM
TheBrownDragon

Man those sct tuners arent cheap either. Y pipes are pretty inexpensive. If I wanted to look at a guide to see how I can change that where would I look?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by TheBrownDragon
Man those sct tuners arent cheap either. Y pipes are pretty inexpensive. If I wanted to look at a guide to see how I can change that where would I look?
The SCT's are expensive because they are customizable.
Try that with anything besides a standalone setup.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

265 is cheap to where Hughes charges over 600 and Sean knows more about it also

Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBrownDragon
Crawl under your truck and have a look. There really isn't that much too it. Well, aside from being exhaust work, which always sucks, unless all the parts on there are brand new, so the bolts come off easy...... If you have emissions testing in your area, should check what the local laws are like, to see if you even CAN do anything other than stock to it. (I know california is rather picky about such things.)

Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerogauge
LoL, so for the plenum what parts do I need? A plenum gasket and what is the plate called?
You need to replace the steel plenum plate with an aluminum one. The stock intake is Aluminum and the plenum is steel. The different metals expand at different rates causing the gasket to leak and/or the steel plenum to rupture.

To check remove your air cleaner, shine a flashlight in the throttlebody and take a look, if there is oil inside(not supposed to be any in there). If there's oil in it you have a blown plenum,and if it aint been fixed it's blown. It causes pinging, poor performance, hard on O2's and cats.
Hughes engines makes a popular kit with everything you need for $120, seems to be the most popular on this forum.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=26190

For the SCT you want what is called the 'Can Tune', get it from Hemifever. Let him know you have a 180 t-stat and anything else you have done. The can tune is good for all the bolt on mods so you don't have to retune with every mod. You only need custom tune if you change heads or cam.

For more power the first thing I would do is replace the factory muffler with a high-flow 3". Made all the difference in the world on my truck and gave me 1 mpg more.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Aerogauge
Professional

Thanks for the advice, about the muffler, my truck has NO muffler on it right now... Previous owner cut it off... Dont know if that hurts performance at all? Sounds badass though

Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
edit: hemifever.com is the best. PERIOD
LOL

Quick Reply: Easiest/Least Expensive ways to add power/performance?