2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Truck decided to take a break(tranny toast)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I vote for the tuner.......

Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Me too but I'm a bit short on cash right now after all this...

Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
NyghtProwler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Well mine ended up beng $1,825 out the door with replacing the softplug behind the tranny, a new transmission mount and he did bypass the check valve... truck runs cooler now... I may have to go back to a 195 stat or get an sct tuner now
not too bad..........he did my softplugs 2 months before my 2nd band broke for $600....

Did he mention the fluid he used?

Too bad you have a '96.....I'd let ya borrow my flashpaq for a week....

drive it like you stole it for the next 12 months..

Old 12-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NyghtProwler
not too bad..........he did my softplugs 2 months before my 2nd band broke for $600....

Did he mention the fluid he used?

Too bad you have a '96.....I'd let ya borrow my flashpaq for a week....

drive it like you stole it for the next 12 months..
He said mercon 6 equiviant? but said He added a modifier so?... I asked about the whole ATF+4 thing and he said when it come to the older fords dodges or chevys they dont need synthetics and theres nothing special in the design to require special ATF fluid? I dunno the stuff I have is pink? I asked what to use if I needed to add more and he said any regular ATF fluid would be fine?
This has me confused.... Also has me wondering how much truth there is or isnt to these ATF fluids being so different? He did say it makes a big difference on some of the new trannies due to newer technology so..
It does shift nice and smooth now but I havent done much driving due to it needing an inspection.
He only replaced one softplug that I know for sure...but I noticed he changed my oil filter because I had just changed the oil and filter prior to all this and used a different brand so?
I'm happy to have no leaks as of now except a bunch of exhaust leaks from unrelated issue of a rusted out pipe from headers to the cat.. It never ends....sigh.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-17-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've heard the same thing regarding increased line pressure in the transmission as I have about shift kits. I've been running an SC tuner for five years now and it firms up the shifts rather nicely by virtue of increased line pressure and I've cut torque management down 88% for well over a year now, no problems yet...

Quick Reply: Truck decided to take a break(tranny toast)