2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wanted to show off my new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was not aware that you could get PPG in a rattle can. So I learned something. If it is a good PPG, it should do well. I was assuming some generic Krylon or other rattle can, as I am sure most of us may have thought.

I plan to use PPG on mine. PPG has a low end, medium, and best grades of paints. Most collision shops will use the mid raonge or lower, unless you are looking for a custom paint job, which they will upgrade and charge accordingly. My next deal is there is no PPG distributor here in this small town. Gotta drive 60 or so miles each way, so I have to have a list ready.

And now the more I look at it - is that a Hooter's orange or Home Depot orange?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoot.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
The auto store here gives you the exact same paint whether you buy a gallon, a quart, or the rattle cans. They mix up whatever color you want and they assure me its the same PPG paint regardless of how you get it. They are a PPG platinum distributor, and I know other body shops who source their paint from the same auto store, and while you can argue whether PPG is the best or not, it is certainly one of the most widely used paints nation wide.

It should cure just like any other auto paint, so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that just because it came out of a rattle can it is somehow not as good as the same paint out of a spray gun.
Thats fine but I'll just mention a few more FACTS to back up what I'm saying...
Any autopaint that comes in a regular spray can it NOT the same paint as any of the modern auto paints sold today.... modern paints are usually acrylic or urethane based and have activaters or hardners to make them "kick" and cure (even the cheaper single stage ones with the integrated clearcoat) They have to be mixed right before spraying with a large compressor driven HVLP or conventional paint gun. There are also some newer water based paints that are very pricey..
You likely bought enamel (just like the stuff rustoleum sells at home depot in quarts) enamels and lacquer paints arent used anymore (and havent been for a long long time) on vehicles because they are inferior in almost every way to modern auto finishes....when they put it in an aerosol can it usually has to be thinned out with propellants. which means it takes a lot more to paint the car.
Lacquer (what they used on cars up until the early 60's) and enamel paint is what you find on the shelf at autozone for temporary repairs or repainting a fender on a budget... It is not what autobody shops or auto manufacturers use for that matter.
Your dodge came from the factory with a multi stage urethane paint finish and you cant get that type of paint in cans.
I think It looks great and you did a good job.... but for a truck that sees the real use and abuse they were designed for it wont hold up anywhere near as well as even the cheaper single stage acrylic paints Maaco uses if you do the prep work...
If your truck ever does get reapainted it will have to be sanded to fully remove all that enamel and sealed before any commercial auto finish is applied or it will turn into a wrinkled mess... I dealt with this first hand from "others repair work" and I have only painted two of my cars at home myself.

So just to recap, YES any paint that comes out of an aerosol paint can IS inferior to the types that HAVE to be sprayed from a real paint gun... Go back and ask your PPG dealer about that.... My local paint dealer wanted $900 a quart for the same exact type of paint I got for $400 for a gallon of chameleon which also included a gallon of black basecoat and a gallon of the clear to go over the chameleon along with all the activators, thinners and hardeners... Those guys must be on commision In my opinion.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if Im painting with a ten dollar harbor freight paint gun (should I get a nicer one) what type of paint and how much do you think it'll cost me to reprint the whole truck?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chadhager03
So if Im painting with a ten dollar harbor freight paint gun (should I get a nicer one) what type of paint and how much do you think it'll cost me to reprint the whole truck?
thats what I used to paint my corvette....I bought a $60 kobalt gun but it didnt work as well as the harbor freight one which actually got great reviews..(its a clone of a high end gun). I bought thier pro line guns for detail and future work. yes they make better guns but you can get a great finish with the cheap HVLP purple one just rent a big enough compressor if you dont have one...thats important.
you can get quality one gallon paint kits for under $100 including the reducer online.(honestly check out ebay).. if you want base then clear look to spend a bit more. I got mine from thecoatingstore.com great support and service.... They even gave me additional paint at a discount when I screwed up.
Its a lot of work.... I recommend priming if it need it (at least prime all damaged spots with the siem (I think thats the brand I bought locally) spot primer or equivilent 1k or 2k primer.
This is kinda getting off topic and I dont want to hijack this thread anymore than it has been so...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I was asked for a how to- whether you want to do it this way or not is up to you, but I painted a car way back in 2002 and it still to this day has not chipped, peeled, etc, which is more than I can say for even work I've had at body shops.

Rattle cans are more forgiving than paint guns as you paint in thinner layers, while novices frequently get major runs with paint guns, although it is true they can usually be sanded down if your patient enough.

So with that being said, I'll be painting another car as soon as the weather improves, and I'll make a how-to out of it... including paint selection etc. At that time I certainly urge AugieDogie or anyone else who has input to share their input as well so any DIYer can make the right choice!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Packy59

This looks great man! Wanna come paint my truck for me? How did you do the chrome at the bottom?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

I painted it myself in the driveway. Its been raining the past 2 days, so I can't get much of a better pic, but I think it looks fantastic... only one minor paint drip. You can click the image above to open a larger version!
What size tires are those?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
What size tires are those?
33s

Originally Posted by Packy59
This looks great man! Wanna come paint my truck for me? How did you do the chrome at the bottom?

Haha- not quite, but the chrome isnt painted- thats stainless steel rocker panels/ rock panels. I love the look of them, and thought about looking for some for my new truck (4th gen).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
purplhrt91
Professional
Default Thumbs up

Great job!!

I painted it myself in the driveway. Its been raining the past 2 days, so I can't get much of a better pic, but I think it looks fantastic... only one minor paint drip. You can click the image above to open a larger version!

Quick Reply: Wanted to show off my new paint job