2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Rugged/Manly Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014 | 11:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

You live ina house with metal studs? Or very well insulated? I know I can't make calls from my basement, and it depends on where on the main floor I'm at as to whether or not I have a good signal. I just learned to stay in one spot in the house when I have a clear signal.

Old 01-08-2014 | 11:18 AM
Gary-L
|
Legend

Originally Posted by stewie01
Maybe your house isn't cell phone friendly....

Always blame the phone first.
Partially true. 1) I'm on a hill; 2) there is a cell tower the next hill over; 3) the idiots who built the house sheathed it with foil covered foam rather than plywood. Therefore, with #3 in mind, my house is basically a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage.

My old Nokia 5100 never had a problem with clarity or connectivity. The HTC was a royal PITA, and my recent Nokia C3-00 didn't have a problem with clarity or connectivity, either.

I'm contemplating getting a cell phone booster for the house.

Last edited by Gary-L; 01-08-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2014 | 03:26 PM
stewie01
Legend

We're several hills from the nearest cell tower in this old VA fire brick house, certain rooms have NO signal at all, others only in a few places.

Actually there's better coverage down in the woods by the creek than in the house.

Old 01-09-2014 | 11:25 AM
Gary-L
|
Legend

Going back to basics (and AT&T) with a
Samsun B2100 Samsun B2100
. Remember the good old days when an improved cell phone was one that had long talk time and long standby time? The POS "smart" phones can't measure up to that, much less the durability (sure, if it's Otterboxed :icon_eyeroll.

Smart phones have reached their limits as it is and cannot be improved upon *unless* someone figures out how to improve reception and also battery life. I've been amazed by the number of cell phone reviews I've read where people were disgusted with the high cell phone bills, associated problems, and the realization that they need a phone and not digital Swiss Army Knife and switched (back) to a simple, no frills phone.

Old 01-09-2014 | 12:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Going back to basics (and AT&T) with a Samsun B2100. Remember the good old days when an improved cell phone was one that had long talk time and long standby time? The POS "smart" phones can't measure up to that, much less the durability (sure, if it's Otterboxed :icon_eyeroll.

Smart phones have reached their limits as it is and cannot be improved upon *unless* someone figures out how to improve reception and also battery life. I've been amazed by the number of cell phone reviews I've read where people were disgusted with the high cell phone bills, associated problems, and the realization that they need a phone and not digital Swiss Army Knife and switched (back) to a simple, no frills phone.
That is such an innacurate statement on so many levels. Huge improvements can be made.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...nes-look-like/

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 12:16 PM
Jigabop
Champion

they need to start using that spray on antenna stuff the military has been testing.

supposedly double the performance of a standard whip antenna and can be sprayed on to any surface.

Old 01-09-2014 | 12:18 PM
Gary-L
|
Legend

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That is such an innacurate statement on so many levels. Huge improvements can be made.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...nes-look-like/

Everything in that article is a techie theoretical dream.

In other words, believe it when you see it. Remember, 30 years ago, some futurist claimed every house in the US would be powered by a hydrogen generator the size of a refrigerator by the year 2000 Yeah, about that....

Either way, I read an article a few weeks ago that said smart phones have pretty much reached a limit. The most recent incarnation of the iPhone was a big disappointment with the Apple crowd, and if you look at earlier posts in this thread you'll see where people were advising me to root my HTC (when I had it) to kill off all that crap that was running in the background. Apple recently pushed out an OS update that farked up a lot of people's wireless gear as well.

Screw that.

Last edited by Gary-L; 01-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 02:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Everything in that article is a techie theoretical dream.

In other words, believe it when you see it. Remember, 30 years ago, some futurist claimed every house in the US would be powered by a hydrogen generator the size of a refrigerator by the year 2000 Yeah, about that....

Either way, I read an article a few weeks ago that said smart phones have pretty much reached a limit. The most recent incarnation of the iPhone was a big disappointment with the Apple crowd, and if you look at earlier posts in this thread you'll see where people were advising me to root my HTC (when I had it) to kill off all that crap that was running in the background. Apple recently pushed out an OS update that farked up a lot of people's wireless gear as well.

Screw that.
Similar things were said about TV's, computers, cars, appliances, etc. Amurican engin-uity! Look how far those things have come. Close-mindedness won't advance anything. And anything is possible, dream, believe! But, anyway, enjoy your flip phone. Sometimes I miss the simplicity, other times, not so much......

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If automotive technology had advanced as quickly as computer technology, we would all now be driving cars capable of 200 MPH, while getting 100 MPG.

Of course, the computer industry didn't have another industry making sure our computers didn't become 'too efficient', and thus, eat into their profits.

Quick Reply: Rugged/Manly Cell Phones