2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dodge Ram Information For Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
dustinmwest19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Information For Buyers

Hello, I figured here would be the place to put something like this.
I am wanting to try and start a thread so people who are new to the ram like I was can get all the information you kind folk have shared with me. I will try and keep it updated as information is shared.

2nd Generation dodge rams had there prone problems.
Everyone was nice enough to share some of them with me.

So far I have learned
Timing chain should be changed when you buy one it it hasn't. I have heard that it should be replaced with a double roller type.
Plenum gasket is a big problem. There is a thread on here about it and I will try to get it soon.
Transmissions do have problems. I'm not completely sure what goes wrong with them but I would like anyone's input.
I have heard that dodge ram 1500's do have sloppy steering. But the 2500-3500's have better steering.
I have better in tolled its recommended to upgraded oil/trans coolers. Unknown why or the help.. think its another in nessessary cost

Please if anyone has any extra information or a comment about my post please do so. Plus I'm sure it will help anyone who might be looking at buying one.
Once I get on a computer I will try to clean everything up.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Going to move this to the General Discussion section, as it will get more attention there.

Transmissions are just weak. Torque converters, and the O/D unit are the weak points. The check valve in the cooler lines is another 'bad idea', just waiting to cause a problem. They clog, restrict/prevent flow, and you smoke your trans.

Steering is pretty much the same on the heavier duty trucks as it is the half tons. Same steering box, same inverted Y linkage configuration. There are some upgrades available, but, a fair few of them require modifying the knuckles, and not everyone is willing to do that. Better steering boxes are certainly available. (Redhead, or Borgeson.)

No oil coolers on these trucks. (maybe on der diesel, but, I don't know.) Stock trans cooler is ok, aux trans cooler is nice to have, especially if you tow. (came on plow/towing/heavy duty packages, along with a power steering cooler.)

Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Don't forget the cracked dashes, premature clearcoat failure (hood and roof), drivers seat cushion weak, falling apart, wild vents and probably some others. Minor things that don't affect the operation of the vehicle, but still, when added up can make you think twice.....

Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
tincan57
Captain

Head castings? K.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM
dustinmwest19

Heyyou thank you for moving it to the proper place.
Is there anything people can do to prevent the transmission burn up? You said it has a check valve... can it be removed.
Dash cracking seems to be a big problem.. thank you jkeaton.
What would be a good mileage to change the trans fluid to prevent clogging/burning up? Any input.
I have seen heater problems in trucks round me. Guys claiming heat is warm/cold... I think water pump.
Is there a aluminum lower intake for these trucks?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aluminum lower intake? Idk about that but the intake is aluminum. Along with the front accessory bracket. That's about it though.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some common opinions you'll find here:
-These tucks don't like the fancy rare earth spark plugs. Copper plugs are preferred.
-These trucks don't like Bosch O2 sensors. Stick with NTK.
-These trucks prefer the Mopar PCV valve. 3rd party don't have the same flow rate.
-The heater core behind the dash is the high point in the cooling system, so air likes to get trapped there. Makes for poor heat. It's also a royal pain to get to.
-Headlights can be improved by switching to a relay system and powering directly from the battery/power distribution center.
-The doors can be trouble: they are heavy enough that they wear out the hinges, and they like to rust along the bottom.
-The Chrysler 9.25 rear end is ... Decent, for a factory setup. Of course, you go mudding, or big tires, or huge lift kit, and bad things can happen so people upgrade.
-There's not a great deal of aftermarket support. Not as much as Ford and Chevys, at least.
-Plenum, which you mentioned. Read here.
-Transmission, which you mentioned. Read here.
-Transmission can be helped with a Sonnax Sure Cure kit, with a Borg Warner solenoid set, by deleting the check valve, and by keeping it cool (temp gauge and extra trans cooler.)
-Factory heads tend to crack. If they do, replace them with thicker casting heads. Don't try to repair/rebuild/improve the factory heads.
-Steering is sloppy. Lots of areas for improvement.
-Beware the "Death Wobble," common on 4x4s due to worn out steering components. Usually manifests itself around 40-60mph.
-Beware the "Death Flash," a set of timing instructions put in the PCM that retards the timing to try to avoid engine ping. Fixable with a *quality* tuner like those you can get from HemiFever.

And finally, remember that opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Twmays
Veteran

Originally Posted by dustinmwest19
What would be a good mileage to change the trans fluid to prevent clogging/burning up? Any input.
On your way home from buying it, most likely. The longer you wait, the more debris floats around in your tranny.

I have seen heater problems in trucks round me. Guys claiming heat is warm/cold... I think water pump.
The water pumps seem to last as long here as anywhere else, and there's not much support for "high flow" water pumps, so they're all pretty much the same. Instead it's usually an air bubble or a clog in the heater core.

Is there a aluminum lower intake for these trucks?
The intake is aluminum with a steel bottom pan. Some replace the bottom pan (belly pan) with an aluminum pan, others replace the whole intake with a single piece aluminum one.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
dustinmwest19

Thank you everyone.
Didn't know all of this.
I hope all of this information helps everyone who owns one or may be buying one.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Twmays
Veteran

Keep in mind though that it's not all doom and gloom. When you're talking about these second gen rams, they're all between 13 and 20 years old. They were first made in 1994. For a number of those years, they were the #1 selling truck. You'll find lots of guys on here with 200k miles on their truck. The engines are pretty stout.

You'll find lots of people willing to put time and effort into their trucks because even after two decades, they're still solid trucks and people love them. Don't let the quirks and warts of a 20 year old truck convince you that it's all bad news.

I'm keeping on top of mine because I want to keep it for years to come, and I think most here are the same way.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Information For Buyers