2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

upgrading to a cummins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by (texas-ram)325HP
Before you put a tuner on the truck you need to replace the lift pump or your going to be replacing your VP44... All so depending on the tuner you get if you have a stick youll need a clutch and if its a auto a valve body and TQ.. I say get a smarty or quadzilla
Thanks for the info! I could prolly do the fuel pump soon... my sending unit went out and I've been reading about the pump issues with these trucks... I can't afford a $500 Fass or Air dog pump though... Does anyone know of another way? I was thinking of adding an additional in-line pump.. any suggestions?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
Thanks for the info! I could prolly do the fuel pump soon... my sending unit went out and I've been reading about the pump issues with these trucks... I can't afford a $500 Fass or Air dog pump though... Does anyone know of another way? I was thinking of adding an additional in-line pump.. any suggestions?
Diesels aren't cheap to maintain... Did you research this stuff before you signed on the line?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Free Range
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into Raptor pumps, give good flow and gets you away from the stock setup for less money. I love the Airdog I have on my rig, but they are pricier.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

just finished rhino lineing my rockers and bumpers.. looks great! Also ordered new smoked headlights and installed an aux trany cooler...

I need a picture of the pass side enhine below the turbo though... It looks like There should be a tranny filter there, Looks like two tranny lines run to the pass side and up the right side of the block... it pretty much makes a loop to the passenger side of the engine and back... not sure what's missing.... If someone could post a picture or send me in thr right direction...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats where the trans cooler goes...

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jigabop
thats where the trans cooler goes...
I have two tranny coolers and they are linked together in front of the radiator.... there are two lines that go to the pass side of the block.. under the oil filter and turbo.... one of the lines comes from the cooler.. and the other returns to the tranny... It looks like one big loop...

it looks like there was a spin on tranny filter, but was cut out for some reason and was replaced with a piece of pipe... just wondering if anyone else has this?

I was also wanting to know if the tranny should be connected to the cooling system... my old 1500 had the tranny cooler and radiator as one unit...

I'm wondering how the tranny warms up in cold or freeze conditions?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it warm up? They have t-stats in the coolers IIRC.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

I really just need a picture of the tranny lines that go up the passenger side of the block.

Quick Reply: upgrading to a cummins!