2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

help with all new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with all new exhaust

i found out today, that we are getting our W2's tomorrow. so ill be filling my taxes in the next week. with that money i plan on dropping a decent penny on my truck. things i plan on doing
whole new exhaust (including both O2 sensors)
plenum, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributer, and probably any other gaskets i can get too in that area
also the transmission check valve, clean the solenoid/governor pressure, and adj bands and tranny filter.
oh also the transfer case saver.

onto the topic here, the exhaust. my cat is gutted and i have a straight pipe, also my back stream o2 sensor is shot, and the first one isnt even present. I want whats best for performance yet try to save my dollar since im doing so much for my truck. I believe i want a high flow cat, i live in ct and do have emissions. so thats important. from what ive heard too small is no good and too large is a waste. so i thought id meet in the middle and go for something like a 3 inch hi flow cat, a 3 inch muffler, and come out to like 3.5 inch tail pipe. i havent really looked for mufflers yet. i thought i wanted the 40 series however have heard from you guys tnats its one of the most restrictive ones, so that makes no sense with a high flow cat. Now ive read threads on muffler talk and all that. Im kind of having a hard time finding a cat converter that i like. i dont have a stock y pipe my current cat has 2.5 intlet, its 2inlet 1 outlet, however im changing the entire exhaust. so i guess my question is does anybody know any good sites for catalyst converters? also are high flows just as legal as reg. cats? or does it depend on the state? also what would be a good muffler to accomidate and run good with a high flow cat?
what would your ideal exhaust consist of???

Last edited by BigBlue83; 01-11-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How much ya wanna spend?

My thoughts would be:

Pacesetter longtubes.
Pacesetter Y-pipe for long tubes.
Magnaflo high-flow cat 3" i/o
full single 3" exaust.
muffler of your choice.

I think the y pipe has provisions for two O2 sensors, just put the high flow cat between them. (cut out a section of the y pipe.)

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Thanks for your help I think my truck could use new exhaust manifold... I think im on the right track. I found some pacesetter quick trip long tubes for $263 they have the O2 port than a jegs magnaflow hi flow cat for a decent price and the offroad y pipe. The cat and y pipe dont have the O2 port would I be able to plug one of the O2 port of one of the ling tubes? But wouldnt that just read exaust of only 4 cylinders? Would that be an issue? Or should I cap both ports and find a cat with the front O2 port?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
SilverSS
Captain

I'm running true duals and only have an o2 sensor in one side and it runs fine.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
I'm running true duals and only have an o2 sensor in one side and it runs fine.
Thats because all the problems happen on the other side.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
Thanks for your help I think my truck could use new exhaust manifold... I think im on the right track. I found some pacesetter quick trip long tubes for $263 they have the O2 port than a jegs magnaflow hi flow cat for a decent price and the offroad y pipe. The cat and y pipe dont have the O2 port would I be able to plug one of the O2 port of one of the ling tubes? But wouldnt that just read exaust of only 4 cylinders? Would that be an issue? Or should I cap both ports and find a cat with the front O2 port?
Make sure the off road y-pipe is for the long tubes though. They make one to fit shorties, or stock manifolds as well.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

one of the electrical engineers at work said,they would give me some info into wiring both O2 sensors to one connector. Would that cause an issue with the pcm?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would think so. The PCM is looking for 2 different readings, wired together, they would be the same.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by kejobe
I would think so. The PCM is looking for 2 different readings, wired together, they would be the same.
Correct. PCM expects two different signals, if it doesn't get 'em, you will always have a code.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Kejobe I only have one O2 sensor up stream but the long tubes have one for each side id be wiring the front ones together being I only am supposed to have one up front I would still have the rear down stream wired O2

Quick Reply: help with all new exhaust