2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

9 mpg is normal for driving with a heavy foot... your idea of not having a heavy foot might be a bit more than others.. just throwing that out there as a possibility and maybe your missing oil isnt all from the leaky gasket.
how long since a tuneup was done?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
KxRideRon125
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the times i have calculated the mpg i wasn't driving with a lead foot tho.. got another oil change in 500 miles and did plugs and distributor cap and rotor 5 months ago

Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
KxRideRon125
Veteran

clould it be because my front o2 sensor is a ntk and rear is a bosch? if the timing is advanced would that cause bad gas mileage

Last edited by KxRideRon125; 01-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by KxRideRon125
clould it be because my front o2 sensor is a ntk and rear is a bosch? if the timing is advanced would that cause bad gas mileage
these trucks hate bosch, but the rear doesnt do much with the MPGs. its just says whether your cat is working or not. and timing wouldnt be a factor on these trucks. even if the timing would make a difference, theres nothing you can do about it on these trucks. all ignition timing is contolled by the PCM. some techs think that you can control it with the dizzy but you cant. that controls the trucks fuel sync.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_priem
even if the timing would make a difference, theres nothing you can do about it on these trucks.
Oddly enough, I was just looking at that setting on my tuner this afternoon when I backed the base timing off, back to the tuner's default setting for 91 octane/performance.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

Not thats it's truly worth it but there alot of talk going on about 0 ohm spark-plug wires. They seem to boost performance and mpgs. Also you could boost your mileage by filling your tires with nitrogen instead of air. I had a bud who did that and it kicked up his mpgs 2-4 mpg.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutt Bryant
Also you could boost your mileage by filling your tires with nitrogen instead of air. I had a bud who did that and it kicked up his mpgs 2-4 mpg.
Any/all fuel economy gains with nitrogen are due to the fact that the tires were underinflated before some guy put in some expensive gas and those cute green caps on your valve stems. That's 100% of the effect. You can get the same benefit by checking/adjusting your tire pressure once each month like the owner's manual says you should.

Zero ohm wires, well... the pink unicorns seem to like 'em just fine but the flying dragons think they taste just like chicken, and dragons don't like chicken.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somin around 14 mpgs should be able to be reached even without the magical products on the market. If it were me I would make FOR SURE the plenum isn't leakin and make sure your cat isnt clogged and such. If you haven't replaced the front O2 since you've owned it, i would replace it. Jus my 2 cents

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM
joekool4
Professional

Light foot = well under 2k rpm (for me at least, I try to stay under 1800...its gotten me as much as 22mpg highway, 2wd and nothing extra in the truck, shed as much weight as possible)

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Any/all fuel economy gains with nitrogen are due to the fact that the tires were underinflated before some guy put in some expensive gas and those cute green caps on your valve stems. That's 100% of the effect. You can get the same benefit by checking/adjusting your tire pressure once each month like the owner's manual says you should.
I run an exotic blend of about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and the last 2% a mixture of water vapor, CO2, trace hydrogen and various noble gasses.

Works pretty well as long as the pressure is regulated well at the optimal level.