2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tools, Measuring equipment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Forcer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools, Measuring equipment

My question is what brand names do you trust for torque wrenches and other things like dial indicators, calipers. Or do you just trust the accuracy of these precision tools in the harbor freight clearance bins?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

For precision tools, I'd probably steer away from Harbor Freight. No, I can't talk from experience, but precision requires flawlessness and accuracy, and I haven't seen that from Harbor Freight Yet. Now I have a set of both standard and metric wrenches, socket sets, allen wrenches, screw drivers, jack stands, air impact, angle grinder, cut off tool, 50 ft. air hose, from harbor freight, and have only had 1 issue. That was with a wrench that i'd piggy backed another wrench onto for more torque and broke a side off the open end of the wrench, but tbh, I was tugging super hard on a rusted, stuck bolt. Walked in the store with my receipt, and switched it out for another one. As far as the air tools, keep 'em cleaned and oiled, and they'll last a long while.

I am more than happy to save money buying basic tools from harbor freight, but when it comes down to torquing bolts, that are inside the motor, to prevent them from rattling loose and getting tossed around in the motor, I'd much rather spend the extra cash beforehand on a quality company, with higher quality control, than spend the extra cash later replacing more expensive parts on vehicles.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Forcer
Rookie

what im asking is what names do people trust for items like these

Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Craftsman, sorta... Mac, Snap-On..... (be prepared to mortgage the house, the car, the kids, the wife, left nut, half you soul... etc....) Matco isn't bad. I used Sears torque wrenches for years on my own stuff, and never had a problem. At work, it was almost exclusively Snap-On. Premium price, (to say the least....) but, premium quality as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Well, the only actual precision tool I have is my craftsman torque wrench. It's got 4-5 years of abuse on it, without any issues. It's adjustable from 10-265 inch pounds, and has been used on tons of jobs within multiple motors.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 PM
dlyter09
Champion

i use my good eye

Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
i use my good eye
Now we know why the transfer case keeps falling off! LOL

Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Craftsman, sorta... Mac, Snap-On..... (be prepared to mortgage the house, the car, the kids, the wife, left nut, half you soul... etc....) Matco isn't bad. I used Sears torque wrenches for years on my own stuff, and never had a problem. At work, it was almost exclusively Snap-On. Premium price, (to say the least....) but, premium quality as well.
+1. Craftsman is probably the lowest I would go on quality for precision/internal engine work. I have a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive click type torque wrench I use to tighten lugnuts though.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Forcer
Rookie

Cool cool so Im leaning towards craftsman for the "affordable quality" lol i currently have one from harbor freight tested it out at work against others with a couple different settings was pretty accurate until someone used as a ratchet with a cheater bar on it (dont trust it anymore). Is the craftsman name on the dial indicator too? or is there a better company for that?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Now we know why the transfer case keeps falling off! LOL

Its not the transfer case now lol

Quick Reply: Tools, Measuring equipment