2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1 tons or rockwells

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1 tons or rockwells

So the time has come i am debating on 1 tons or rockwells.... i would like to keep my 15" wheel and keep the truck streetable....i also dont want to do a ton of fab work so i am leaning towards 1 tons........i already have ladderbars and long arms so that will be part of the work out of the way... I just really want some opinions from you guys and where to buy the axles... i looked around at a few yards no luck and c list down here doesnt have anything...

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

I guess 1 tons will be probably easier, to find, put in, ect, and cheaper, but rockwells would be sweet!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on going to a bigger tire in the future id do rockwells but if your not going much bigger the 1 tons will be good. As for were to buy just keep checking craigslist within 60 miles or however far you are willing to drive

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dipsherry
So the time has come i am debating on 1 tons or rockwells.... i would like to keep my 15" wheel and keep the truck streetable....i also dont want to do a ton of fab work so i am leaning towards 1 tons........i already have ladderbars and long arms so that will be part of the work out of the way... I just really want some opinions from you guys and where to buy the axles... i looked around at a few yards no luck and c list down here doesnt have anything...
I'm not sure what the law is in Florida, but here in CA street requires keeping steering mechanical linkage. Full hydro is not street legal. I've come across people saying its true and not true and honestly I've just been lazy to look it up. You just may want to check for yourself.

Rockwells....will need full hydro, minimum hydro assist. I just haven't seen anyone running Rockwells without full hydro.

Rockwells = TONS of fabrication (I can link you to some builds....)

1 tons are more versatile and of course Dodge 1 tons are bolt ins. Fords are narrower and require fabrication.

use searchtempest.com as it searches all craigslist based on entered radius of mileage. Also the classified section of a site like pirate4x4.com and other offroad sites, like one nearer your location. Maybe even diesel sites too.

Your main use seems to be mudding, right? If so, then indeed you really want those ladder bars.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

One tons might be interesting.... may be better off finding 3/4 tons out of a diesel, or v-10 truck. Same front axle as the 1 tons (D60), but, no adapters or that kind of thing for the 1 ton wheels. Rear axles on 1 tons are exclusively duallys on the second gens.... you can find the same axles under 3/4 tons, that will basically bolt right in. Very little fab work required. (spring hangers would be about the extent of it I think.)

Rockwells would require a boat load of custom fab work.....

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
you can find the same axles under 3/4 tons, that will basically bolt right in. Very little fab work required. (spring hangers would be about the extent of it I think.)

Rockwells would require a boat load of custom fab work.....
Correct. I'm right in the middle of a dana 60 swap waiting on parts to be shipped. 90% of D60s come factory with 4.10s.

As for the swap so far I have learned the front is literally a direct swap of the dana 44, I'll know more when the rest of the new parts come in, old stuff was, well OLD, hahaha.

As for the rear I'm still sorting that out since the D60s have 3" perches and haven't figured out what I'm doing about the drive shaft and u-joint differences.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Don't laugh...I'm an old guy....as 2X1972 has so graciously reminded me.......

What are Rockwells?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
OK. Don't laugh...I'm an old guy....as 2X1972 has so graciously reminded me.......

What are Rockwells?
Rockwells are the axles found under the army trucks like the duce and a half.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Now I know. Are they worth quite a bit? (I think I know where a couple of sets are...sitting out in a pasture.)

Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
Thanks. Now I know. Are they worth quite a bit? (I think I know where a couple of sets are...sitting out in a pasture.)
That makes two of us that learned 2 things today
around here they are spendy cause there aren't alot of em and seems everyone wants them

Last edited by Ramcountryboy; 04-18-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 1 tons or rockwells