2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

anyone with chrysler 2.7L knowledge plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012 | 12:04 AM
bekins01ram
|
Veteran
Default anyone with chrysler 2.7L knowledge plz help.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...oblem-now.html

That link is to my post in the intrepid section of dodge forum, but I hang out here most times, and from what I can tell there are many more people in this section with mechanical abilities. If anyone here has messed with the intrepid motors or is a mechanic and can possibly give me some suggestions, please read that post. I'd like to get this fixed ASAP, and sell the car, but from what I can tell, the mechanic is being cheap/ lazy, and trying to screw myself and my wife over. Gah...what a stupid motor that 2.7L is. Wonder if I can fit a magnum v8 under the hood.

P.S. to the mods, if it isn't acceptable to ask for help here, as well as the 2nd gen intrepid section, feel free to delete this. The intrepid section just isn't quite as hoppin' as this one is. Hoping maybe I can get an answer tonight. Not one person has even read the thread yet in that section, from what I can tell.

Old 05-04-2012 | 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doing the water pump requires releasing the chain tensioner (it IS a chain, right?), and resetting timing when putting things back together. Seems a fairly standard error here is reinstalling a chain that has worn to the point the tensioner can't keep the chain tight enough to prevent it from jumping time..... (wear indicator on tensioner)

The mechanic screwed up, and yes, he SHOULD fix this under whatever warranty he puts on his work. He HAD to touch the tensioner to change the pump, and if it broke afterwards, its his problem.

Don't expect that he will ever admit that though. Been thru this myself on my Malibu. Unfortunately, it cost me the motor. I got my money back from the shop that did the work, but, I was still out a car.

If you paid for this with a credit card, call the card company, dispute the charges, and at least have them put on hold until things are straightened out. Either by the guy that did the original work, in which case, pay him for the water pump job, or, by someone else, in which case, the original shop doesn't get squat.

Link to walkthru for the job.

Quick Reply: anyone with chrysler 2.7L knowledge plz help.