2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheeling a fullsize

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Sounds good. I wouldn't worry about the front locker too much to start with. Learn to wheel your rig and pick a good line before you get a locker.
An old wise man once told me, " A winch will get you home, lockers won't." So once the weather gets warmer, I have plans to build a bumper and i bought a 10,000 warn about a month ago so ill start with those and go from there. I have plans for a locker in the future but I've got other things I would like to do to the truck first.

When you say "learn to wheel your rig" what advice do you have in that department?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Thornloe,
Some of this may sound stupid and I am not trying to insult you.

Some basic tricks to try that you can do anywhere is cut some lengths of 2x4's maybe 12-18" long. Then place the boards on the ground spaced out 3-4' apart and try to drive over the boards. Do it first placing your front tire on each board. Then do it placing your rear tire on each board. Now if you have someone who can help have them put the boards down for you to make it harder.

Another is when you're on a trail try to drive over a large boulder without hitting your front/rear/t-case on it. That helps you know where things are. Once you've done all that just go drive trails and when you can go up obstacles and only have to winch now and then you're doing good.

Your goal is to get to the point where you can out drive your truck. Does that make sense? That is what I try to tell people starting out in Jeeps. Learn to out drive the way it is then make some modifications, then build it some and learn to wheel the way it is then. Build it some more and start all over, you get the point.

As WhitKnc found out disconnecting your swaybar makes a heck of a difference. Make a quick disconnect system for the front and if you have one in the rear think about disconnecting it before you head to the trail.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Wildman,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice. You list some very good points and I will definately try them out. From my personal experience and from what I've heard from people, understand your rig is probably the most important offroad skill there is. I am definately a novice but like I said previously, I'm looking to get into it more this year. I've done some offroad but new at the trails. I come from a mud racing background. I've got some maintenance to do before I build a bumper but when I do and when we hit the trails I'll definately start postin some pics for ya guys

Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey no problem. I have been 4wheeling since I was a little kid. My grandpa started me out in his flatty Jeep. Now I'm an old fart now so I have a few years of doing it. I use to eat sleep & breathe 4wheeling. I guess you could say I still do but my Jeeps been broke down for 2 years now.

Know this: Off-Roading is 80% Driver 10% Environment 10% Vehicle

Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
sumone

Great photos................cleanest dirt I've ever seen!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 PM
tincan57
Captain

What qualifies as a full size (layman's terms)? example, Daks (mid size/full size), jeeps, wheel bases........K.

Last edited by tincan57; 02-27-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: adder
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by tincan57
What qualifies as a full size (layman's terms)? example, Daks (mid size/full size), jeeps, wheel bases........K.
IMO, any 1/2 ton truck and bigger is a full size. Normally it's judged by the width more than the wheelbase. A reg cab short box 1/2 ton offroader is still considered a full size.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
tincan57
Captain

That nails it. It's a bit hard to decipher all these 4 wheel magazines with their write-ups and events. I'll say this, and hope to offend no one, but the only rig I have an off road comfort in is a 1/2 ton (1st or 2nd gen gasser). Thanks for the response. K.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by tincan57
I'll say this, and hope to offend no one, but the only rig I have an off road comfort in is a 1/2 ton (1st or 2nd gen gasser). Thanks for the response. K.
How come? Just curious.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

I have been off-road in a boat load of different vehicles. From CJ's, to full-size, four-doored, long bed pickups. The CJ was the most fun..... of course, it had a 401, 4-speed, and lockers. That thing was unstoppable. Well, it was, till the trans got water in it from too deep of a crossing.....

That was a fun trip. I drove my old 79 blazer.... that I had paid 350 bucks for... Out of seven vehicles that went, mine was the only one that didn't come back home on a trailer.

Quick Reply: Wheeling a fullsize