2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

torqe converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge fan 001
jus the converter no rebuild. the converter went bang in a big way while going up my street which is a steep hill thought it all fell out. As far as linkage i have a cable it seems fine it shifts great just no start off power forward or reverse.. strange huh? onle me.....
What does that mean exactly? If the torque converter went to meet it's maker, depending on what all happened, couldn't it have sent metal shards throughout the rest of the transmission? Since there wasn't a full rebuild you'd never know just what all happened beyond the TC...... Just a thought, maybe way off base....

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Did you find anything interesting in the pan?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, after the converter blew. By the way when it blew I was coming up my street which is a bit of a hill. I kicked it down and BANG sounded Took out the trans and found the converter had blown apart inside. No more one way sprag. Purchased a new one and it ran perfect. as if nothing happened. After I droppedthe pan a few days ago, there was a little metel on the magnet to b expected with 170000 on it i suppose. fluid was a bit burnt. Also, In the morning at first start up, I have to put to drive and reverse before moving it to get the fluid moving Im guessing. So now all of a sudden I got off the highway and then it was acting up. come to a stop and when I go again it feels like lack of pressure or something It doesnt slip. just feels like its holding back. As im still taking off rpms come up and it goes as usuall. Remember not slipping just lacking trans power Shifts normal kicks down normal, everything except dead stop power. Oh, does the same in reverse as forward.. so im leaning to converter keep in mind I m not a trans person so, IM LOST lol
Thx Jim

Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what kind of metal shards you found on the magnet. If the fluid was burnt it's probably gotten hot, maybe just when the TC blew up. I'm no transmission guy but I'd say a full rebuild is shortly in your future....

If the TC blew up inside it could have sent all kind's of metal debris into the transmission, no way to get it all out without tearing into it....

Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur

well, u could be 100% right just seems strange took over a yr to act up So far i guess im going to have it done I told the trans guy about a month he said about 1500 bucks. SO, If anyone has an idea on this to save me the 1500 please let me know I personally think its a pressure problem fluid leaking by something till the pressure builds up or. I really dont know how a torque converter works so Im at a loss.. I do appriciate all you guys helping me. I hope I can help someone in return. Thanx for everything

Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur

1995 so i just looked up the tc and found out it has a pump in it and showed how it works Im so damn sure i have a bad converter. I also found out today that the trans shop I bought it from has been getting bad ones and had to switch companys. So whats my chances of haveing a bad one? I think good but im open to all suggestions..lol
Have a great day .....

Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pump is actually in the front housing - the plate just behind the TC. When a TC shells out, it will have pieces all over, and the fluid can circulate it throughout the trans. There should be no metal shavings in the pan, but only a sludge looking stuff artound the magnet.

Burned smell of fluid is an indication that the friction disks in the clutrch packs have been slipping and shucking off some of the friction material. THis is usually accompanied by the steels between the frictions turning a blue tint, indicating higer than desired temperature.

Save some money? Don't get overwhelmed. Get the FSM from the FAQ/DIY section here and download it. Print out the transmission section and study it. Buy the overhaul kit from www.wittrans.com, a good TC from Precision of New Hampton, and either drop your tranny (or pick one up from JY to rebuild) and oeverhaul that thing!

Biggest concern - not nicking seals on shafts or pistons, keeping everything clean, and the 800 pound spring in the OD unit (need a press for that one). I made a temporary bench out a a pices of 14" wide 8' long plywood to allow spreading it out and keeping everything in the order it came out.

Oh, and do not try to lift it onto the bench by yourself........don't ask....

A few minor upgrades like high temp frictions and the BW solenoid will make it better, and a Sonnax sure Cure kit if you can afford th extra $150 expense.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur

ok , im convinced Rebuild it is. Solve all future headaches. So you really think I can do it myself? Well im going to give it a try and I didhear about that 800 spring Ill tackle it when I get there lol And to all u guys thank you for all the help U dodge brothers are top notch in my book
KEEP ON RAMMIN!!!!!! JIM

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur

wow thats some helpful diagram of that trany. Yeah I can do that Ill print it and then have it enlarged then go to work.. Thanx again to all of you...
Jim

Quick Reply: torqe converter