2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tire Damage from Spinning in the sand

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been a great tire until now. If it's just from spinning in the sand alone then that's pretty sad, I didn't do a great deal of spinning either.... Makes ya wonder.....

Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The friction from spinning in the sand built up heat. Heat will dry the rubber. When rubber gets dry, itll crack like what you have. All the small particles of sand moving so quick will build up enough heat to crack the outside of your tire.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by kejobe
The friction from spinning in the sand built up heat. Heat will dry the rubber. When rubber gets dry, itll crack like what you have. All the small particles of sand moving so quick will build up enough heat to crack the outside of your tire.
Then it probably wouldn't matter what brand of tire I had on the truck...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by stewie01
Then it probably wouldn't matter what brand of tire I had on the truck...
For the most part, correct. Although, different brand/model tires have a different chemical make-up. Some can handle more heat than others. Thats why they have temperature ratings.

So, a different brand or model of tire may have done the same, or it could have come out without any cracking.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ So, what you are saying is, the only way to NOT hurt your tires is to drive them 100% in snow ALL the time?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by 2x1972
^^^ So, what you are saying is, the only way to NOT hurt your tires is to drive them 100% in snow ALL the time?
Well they're gonna see much cooler weather and of course, SNOW!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2x1972
What Im saying is dont be a smartass!!

Seriously, when you spin the tires it creates more heat, too much and the rubber will crack. Doing it on pavement is better than in dirt or sand, etc. On pavement, the heat needs to transfer to the sidewall, takes longer, plus its losing heat as it transfering. In dirt, or this case, sand, the heat is being generated at the sidewall. Therefore it gets hotter quicker, and if too hot, it dries out and cracks.

Last edited by kejobe; 06-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
What Im saying is dont be a smartass!!

Seriously, when you spin the tires it creates more heat, too much and the rubber will crack. Doing it on pavement is better than in dirt or sand, etc. On pavement, the heat needs to transfer to the sidewall, takes longer, plus its losing heat as it transfering. In dirt, or this case, sand, the heat is being generated at the sidewall. Therefore it gets hotter quicker, and if too hot, it dries out and cracks.
Lost cause. This place seems to be chock full of 'em. I don't really see that as such a bad thing. I think we have an excellent group here.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lost cause. This place seems to be chock full of 'em. I don't really see that as such a bad thing. I think we have an excellent group here.
I second that motion.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was being a goof, but it's true. The only way you will see NO damage to your tires is to drive on snow all the time! Even storing them off the truck will let them warp out of round, and rot will happen. Canada it is....

Quick Reply: Tire Damage from Spinning in the sand