2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

PCM Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012 | 02:10 AM
cfdengineer
|
Default PCM Interchange

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with a 5.2L engine and 216,000 miles. Since the weather has gotten hot here my truck has started to cut off on me. This has happened going down the interstate and sitting still. After waiting a minute or so the truck would the restart. I played with the wires going to the PCM and was able to make the truck cut off. So I have a PCM that overheats basically. I took it off and man was it hot. So hot I had to wrap it in a towel to handle it. I was told of a company called auto computer exchange that will take your VIN and mileage and program that into the PCM so that the remanufactured one you get can simply be installed and go. The 99 Dodge is in the 2nd generation of Dodge trucks (94-01). My question is what years have interchangeable PCM's? I would think maybe 98-01 would be. It looks like that on the auto computer exchange website, but the 99 PCM is close to $80 more than the 98, 00, and 01. I would like to know this and if say the 99 and 00 are interchangeable I would like to question why the 99 PCM is marked higher. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2012 | 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't bother with auto computer exchange, too many horror stories about them out on the net.

Before condemning the PCM completely, try cleaning the connectors and such, and putting it back in. If it was heat related, it wouldn't restart after a short time, as the PCM would still be heat soaking in the nice, toasty warm, engine compartment.

Old 07-04-2012 | 12:11 PM
gdstock
Legend

The PCM getting hot could be external. Loose connections or bad ground may cause similar issue. Check connectors and clean. Make dure none of the connector pins looks worn or the receptacle part appears loose. Celan and check ground. My BIL's Grand Cherokee had the same issue. I secrued connectors, took the wieght off connectors by better supporting cables, and no problems since then.

IF you decide to do PCM swap, try one from JY first to see if it was actually the problem. Getting a good reman is appearantly more challenging than one would think it should be, based on responses from others on DF.

Old 07-04-2012 | 12:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'd try replacing the crank sensor first .

Old 07-05-2012 | 12:44 PM
cfdengineer
|

I ran the truck for a while to get it all hot. Temp outside was in the upper 90s. I wiggle the middle plug on the PCM and the truck turned off. I tried to start it back up and it wouldn't start. Took the plug out and put it back in. Contacts looked clean and free of corrosion. Checked all as well, no corrosion. Tried to start back up and nothing. So I took the PCM off. Like I said it was hot as hell and put it on the AC in my house to cool it off. After cooling off I plugged it back up and it started right up. This truck has been in hot weather before why is the PCM now just acting up. Could it just be the circuits are just wore out to the heating and cooling process. I have looked at reviews for the auto computer exhange and they have like a 73% approval rating. It's a shame that this thing is overheating. I know of a truck, not sure if it is the same year but has the same front end, that is sitting at a garage that appears to be in a state of being salvaged. So perhaps I can see if I can strike a deal. Could putting heat tape around the PCM help with the overheating? Personally I hate to fork out money if it can be salvaged. But I hate having to wait time for the thing to cool off before getting back on the road.

Old 07-05-2012 | 01:02 PM
cfdengineer
|

Can anyone still answer the question? Which years have compatable PCM's for my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.2L?

Old 07-05-2012 | 04:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'd get one out of a 98 to 01 with the same options you have on your truck. Still probably need to get it flashed by the dealer. Vin#, odometer reading, need to be set anyway. Plus, IIRC, if you don't get it flashed, the ABS may not work.

Old 07-05-2012 | 05:01 PM
cfdengineer
|

The ABS and brake light turns on at about 40mph. I think it is the speed senor in the rear end. I am going to try to wrap this thing in heat shield material and see if that helps. If not then I am going to have to find a used or a new one. Regardless it will have to be programmed with the VIN and mileage. I am trying to save money, but it looks inevitable.

Old 07-05-2012 | 06:45 PM
cfdengineer
|

If I have to get a PCM I would like to get it from a company that can pre-program the VIN and mileage. Looks like auto computer exchange has quite a lot detractors. How about All Computer Resources, Inc or Solo Auto Electronics?

Old 07-05-2012 | 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not familiar with the other two companies..... Try your wrap idea, see if it works.

When it won't start, does the fuel pump still prime? Don't happen to have a second truck you can try the PCM in do you? It still could be the crank sensor getting hot, and freaking out. (yes, that's a technical term) With the PCM inside cooling off, it also gave the crank sensor time to cool, and start working again as well.

Quick Reply: PCM Interchange