2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Valve Body Modification - pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Valve Body Modification - pressure

Has anyone successfully modified the valve body on a 46RE to increase pressures? I had done this on Ford C4 and C6 trannys many years ago. Increasing pressure on the C4 greatly helps the perfomrance of the tranny, but cost me $ on tires (my much younger days!).

I am thinking of increasing pressure about 10-15% to improve shift and change the TCC and OD range. I may be way off (C4s and C6 did not have TCCC and OD).

I already have the Sonnax Sure Cure in mine, but looking to see what else I can do. Have another Sure Cure kit so I can compare "apples to apples" against what I currently have. Picking up another VB for $30 tomorrow.

Any ideas or concerns welcome.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You would have to have a custom tune for it, as the governor is all electronic in your trans.

You could 'fool' it, I suppose, by installing a resistor inline to modify the signal the PCM is seeing. (lower that what it really is....)

Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 AM
gdstock
Legend

Custom tune will be discussed with Sean when I get closer on this. Also have a resitor/cap bridge (test equip from the 90's while doing electronic work) devise that allows easy variation by set of switches.

Deciding changes to valves may be the hardest part to decide on. Prototype will not be hardened due to cost until I get it worked out.

Last edited by gdstock; 08-01-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
gdstock
Legend

I finished putting the valve body together today. Had one spool modified by a buddy. Flame spray and grind and polish to shorten one area, spray and grind/polish two other spools on the surface that slide in VB (contact area of spool). Used softer material so it does not score the aluminum. Looks like a bronze finish before polish.

Also installed a heavier spring and ground end down to fit correctly. THis should increase pressure. Looking for about a 10% increase in pressure.

Name:  xVBmodspring.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  637.1 KB
Also increase the bore to OD and TCC solenoids to allow more flow.

Name:  xVBholesboredover.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  601.3 KB

And I wasn't sure if changing these springs will result in improved performance, but the ones on the JY VB were distorted and the ones I had were slightly stronger.

Name:  xVBspringchange.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  537.9 KB

Plan to have wife drive Ram on highway one evening this week so I can record pressures and other data for a base line before swapping out VB this weekend.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

Replaced O2 sensors today. Doesn't have anything to do with VB, but part of plan to improve gas mileage. Fornt sensor was black on the part that was facing upstream. They don't look as bad as I thought they would be.

Name:  O2andVB.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  188.9 KB

Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im anxious to see the results of the VB mods.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Im anxious to see the results of the VB mods.

I am hoping it has some effect. I did a C$ on a 66 Mustang when I was MUCH youger.....and it would burn rubber through all three gears. No one knew it was a 6 clyinder....But these trannys are much different. But effecting the TCC earlerr and firmer as well was increasing flow should help. Biggest cost other than the extra Sonnax SUre Cure (so I could compare apples to apples was having the spools flame sprayed and ground. But since he was doing single units instead of mass production, I can't expect it to be cheap. Ran about $45 per spool. If it doesn't work, I can slap original VB back in and go back to dreaing board. Going to capture and print data from MTG Scanner before and after.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

After spenidng the last week on the road and driving just over 2000 miles, I have some documented results.

Got stopped for speeding 2 times. Second time had cruise set at 70, and trooper clocked me at 77. Just a warning. He chuckled when he came back up to truck and I was writing on my list - check speedo..... Since it appears to be off by 10% suspect tire size is the issue...rest of trip speedo is set at 64 when in a 70mph area...

Trans pressures are about 10 to 11% above normal after about 35 mph. Shift is more firm, and TCC lockup is more distinct.

Mileage when I first checked it last fall and most recent check before mods such as HS rockers, e-fan, and replacement of O2 sensors was consistently 11 mpg. tracking every fill up and miles driven (Eastland, Austin, Houston, Eastland, Dallas, Austin, Dallas....) I am getting a consistent 13.4 mpg. Closest estimate at this time is that 10% of the driving was city stop and go, and the balance was highway. Hard thing to estimate is the number of times I was stopped on the Interstate for 20 minutes plus at three different locations. I severly dislike I35 between Dallas and Austin!

An increase in MPG of 2.4 is pretty good. Don't know if there is much way to squeeze out more, Transmission shifting is better than with Sonnax Sure Cure alone. WIll be watching pressure and temperature to keep an eye out for any signs of adverse effects.

Quick Reply: Valve Body Modification - pressure