2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

More Auto Part Store Kookery

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so heres the deal. advance does indeed no longer carry champions. they can order them, but it takes a week or so to get them in.

something happened between the two companies, and somebody is "mad" at someone. so thats why yoou couldnt get them.

for reference.... i stopped into advance tonight to get prices on a battery for our jeep, and to see what they had for oil change specials. while i was there i told my friend about this thread, and thats what i was told.

so all in all...... there is a feud going on between champion and advance.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Every once in a while, there's a "kid" who knows how to look up part numbers in a book *AND* cross-reference said number.
There are one or two here that can do that, or are smart enough to apply some logiv and find what is needed, but they are few and far between. I often turn the screen around and grab the keyboard....when I don't carry the part nuumber in with me!

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
Most auto parts counter workers are auto factory workers that took early retirement buyouts.

That would an improvement, but unlike Michigan, not any retired auto factory workers here that I know of! Most of them probably have an idea at least!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
There are one or two here that can do that, or are smart enough to apply some logiv and find what is needed, but they are few and far between. I often turn the screen around and grab the keyboard....when I don't carry the part nuumber in with me!

That would an improvement, but unlike Michigan, not any retired auto factory workers here that I know of! Most of them probably have an idea at least!
Don't hold your breath on that..... I once had an employee from the transmission plant in Ypsilanti come into the shop, bitching that his "anti-rollback valve" wasn't working on his brand new chevy..... After having a chat with our trans mechanic (that had been in the business for 25 years...) and being informed that GM didn't use them....... I tried to explain that to the customer.... The SCREAMED at me: "I build these for a living, I KNOW what's in 'em."

I just smiled, walked out to another car, EXACTLY like his, and went with him on a test drive. Lo and Behold, on steep hills, if you stopped, and let off the brake, it would indeed roll backwards..... I had to take him out in yet another car before he finally admitted he might have been mistaken.....

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't hold your breath on that..... I once had an employee from the transmission plant in Ypsilanti come into the shop, bitching that his "anti-rollback valve" wasn't working on his brand new chevy..... After having a chat with our trans mechanic (that had been in the business for 25 years...) and being informed that GM didn't use them....... I tried to explain that to the customer.... The SCREAMED at me: "I build these for a living, I KNOW what's in 'em."

I just smiled, walked out to another car, EXACTLY like his, and went with him on a test drive. Lo and Behold, on steep hills, if you stopped, and let off the brake, it would indeed roll backwards..... I had to take him out in yet another car before he finally admitted he might have been mistaken.....

ROFL! I need that anti-roll back valve in my 5 spd std Yota. It rolls back ALL the time when I hit the clutch on an incline!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
ROFL! I need that anti-roll back valve in my 5 spd std Yota. It rolls back ALL the time when I hit the clutch on an incline!
The new challengers have something like that, so you could drop the yoder and get another gas guzzler!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Darren270
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so all in all...... there is a feud going on between champion and advance.
I wonder what happened that has them both hating on each other... Kinda funny though.

I don't disagree with the idea that I could have just bought one of the brands that they do carry. I know a lot of people have posted about the NGKs and the Autolites being good plugs for our motors. It just irked me that not only would he say something that idiotic but to think that I would believe that, so to hell with it, I'll get my damn Champions somewhere else!!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
The new challengers have something like that, so you could drop the yoder and get another gas guzzler!

One gas guzzler is enough (Ram!). Youta has 279,000 and stiull running strong, so gonna keep it!

Originally Posted by Darren270
I wonder what happened that has them both hating on each other... Kinda funny though.

I don't disagree with the idea that I could have just bought one of the brands that they do carry. I know a lot of people have posted about the NGKs and the Autolites being good plugs for our motors. It just irked me that not only would he say something that idiotic but to think that I would believe that, so to hell with it, I'll get my damn Champions somewhere else!!
Glad you fall for his line. He could have been honest....if he knew, or had the integrity to just say they don't carry them any more. So I guess that guy's credibility is crap!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
The NGK's do work fine also in a magnum. But dont forget your motors have carbs, not TB's and fuel injenction. Unless of course you are referencing your 93.
true but all my trucks seemed to idle a bit lower and smoother after i have installed NKG's. my 81 even starts better than a fuel injected vehicle which i am not sure if that has to do with the NGK plugs or not but it could not hurt. every ford or chevy guy that has started my truck has held the starter for about 2-3 times longer than it needs to start.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got the Champion truck plugs in mine right now and have no problem. But I am going to try the NGK's next time.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

+1, no issues with Champs for me.

Quick Reply: More Auto Part Store Kookery