2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

More Auto Part Store Kookery

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Darren270
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Auto Part Store Kookery

I like to keep things stock and I've had no problems using the Champion RC12YC plugs as listed on the truck itself.

So I decide its long overdue for a tune up and while driving home yesterday I passed an Advance Auto Parts store. I stopped thinking I can run in real quick and grab the spark plugs and be on my way.

This is the following conversation with the counter "expert" verbatim...

Me: Hi. I just need some spark plugs for a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L.

Him: <Types info into computer> Ok I've got the Bosch Platinum, NGK, Autolite, blah, blah, blah...

Me: Actually, I'm looking for a set of Champion RC12YC.

Him: Oh, we don't have those. They don't make Champion spark plugs anymore.

Me: Wha?

Him: Yeah they quit making Champions about 5-6 years ago.

Me: Thats odd, I havent had any trouble getting them before.

Him: If you can still find them, its just old stock they're selling till they run out.

Me: Um...ok? Well, thanks anyway...

WTF??? Where do these people come up with this stuff? How stupid do they think people are?

A quick call to Summit, who assures me that Champion spark plugs are still alive and well, and my spark plugs are on the way.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That guys just a dumb dumb trying to get a sell.

And parts store counter dudes are faaaaarrrrr from experts.

One guy had owned three rams, had no idea what a plenum was, wondered why he was burning oil in all of them, and always recommend fancy smancy Bosch spark plugs

Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would just guess they just don't sell them but they do sell NGK's which in my opinion are way better. my 81 killed 3 champion plugs in 1 flooding which is why i don't like them.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These trucks don't like Bosch platinum plugs either.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am old enough to remember when guys at the parts counters everywhere were gearheads (meant in a good way) and could not only get the right parts, but could also help diagnose a problem. But the days of corporatization have killed the opportunity for a guy that was a car guy to open and operate a parts business because that is what he loved and knew.

I miss the old days.

And if it isn't in their computer, "NOBODY makes it or has it" .....geeeesss.

Good job knowing what you wanted and getting it.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I am old enough to remember when guys at the parts counters everywhere were gearheads (meant in a good way) and could not only get the right parts, but could also help diagnose a problem. But the days of corporatization have killed the opportunity for a guy that was a car guy to open and operate a parts business because that is what he loved and knew.

I miss the old days.

Every once in a while, there's a "kid" who knows how to look up part numbers in a book *AND* cross-reference said number.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats pretty crappy of advance. i buy 90% of my parts at advance, and only go to napa or the like when they dont have something in stock that i need. i stay away from auto zone when i can, theyre worse than anyone.

there are only a couple idiots at my local advance, but the rest of the guys are great, and are gearheads. they all know me by name which is great cause i get the service i expect everytime!

one of the guys actually has a 70's 300(i think) with a 440 in it. sounds AMAZING!

oh, and i know for a fact advance sells champions cause i get them there all the time. in fact i just bought some there about 3-4 months ago for our jeep.

Last edited by redneck_ram; 08-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

This is exactly why I take the part number of the item I want with me. Most times when I'm at Advanced they just let me come behind the counter and pick out what I want.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock

I miss the old days.

Most auto parts counter workers are auto factory workers that took early retirement buyouts.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i would just guess they just don't sell them but they do sell NGK's which in my opinion are way better. my 81 killed 3 champion plugs in 1 flooding which is why i don't like them.

The NGK's do work fine also in a magnum. But dont forget your motors have carbs, not TB's and fuel injenction. Unless of course you are referencing your 93.

Last edited by zman17; 08-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: More Auto Part Store Kookery