2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I didn't understand half of that post but I understand why you got pissed.
I didn't get pissed. I was amused. And then happy to share a bit of verifiable information that's often lacking when people get to talking about fuel octane numbers.

It's all good.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All my truck gets is what's cheap.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I didn't get pissed. I was amused. And then happy to share a bit of verifiable information that's often lacking when people get to talking about fuel octane numbers.

It's all good.
Alright, cool. Good to know though.
Originally Posted by stewie01
Same here, unless it's b1tching, then I figure out why. lol

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
All mine gets is Top Tier gas. I like building/rebuilding engines (where they're on a stand and easy to get at), but I don't want to do any more of it for my own vehicles than I must.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
stocking2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys i raise the temperature by adjusting the electric fan control to turn on the fan at 205 degree not changing the thermostat. so the truck is operating normal tem at highway, only hight tem at local. that is where i want to improve fuel economic on local drive. also the fuel max connect to imt sensor will fool the computer that it runs on hotter intake air temperature ,so meetering less fuel and change ignition timing.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just gonna poke my head into this thread and say that I don't think driving around overheating all the time will get you better fuel economy.

Thanks for your time folks.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 AM
stocking2
Amateur

on the plenum gasket leak i put cooper gasket compound on both side of gasket, after tied all the bolts i put cooper gasket compound around the plate and the manifold,since it is working on suction, anything inbetween the gap will help for leak. i don't know this will work or not , time will tell.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Stocking2- did you replace the intake bolts with shorter ones or use a different pan?

Wombat 205* isn't really overheating. A lot of newer cars run 220*-230*. In my 95 Trans Am the low speed fans came on at 205* and kicked to high speed at 228*. Personally I don't like anything running that hot and all my vehicles have a 180* stat but they *should* be more efficient at higher temps.

Unreg- I'm with you on only buying the top tier gas- I usually get Chevron but sometimes Exxon or Shell. I
discussed this with a friend of mine who argued that a name brand gas station is only required to purchase a certain percentage of fuel from the brand they advertised- the rest of it comes from wherever. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by SilverSS; 12-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSS
Stocking2- did you replace the intake bolts with shorter ones or use a different pan?

Wombat 205* isn't really overheating. A lot of newer cars run 220*-230*. In my 95 Trans Am the low speed fans came on at 205* and kicked to high speed at 228*. Personally I don't like anything running that hot and all my vehicles have a 180* stat but they *should* be more efficient at higher temps.

Unreg- I'm with you on only buying the top tier gas- I usually get Chevron but sometimes Exxon or Shell. I
discussed this with a friend of mine who argued that a name brand gas station is only required to purchase a certain percentage of fuel from the brand they advertised- the rest of it comes from wherever. Any thoughts on that?
And in a truck whose engine and transmission are designed to run at 180-195, 205 is kinda warm. Especially for the transmission.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
stocking2
Amateur

silverss, i used the stock pan and bolts, only thing i did is put cooper gasket compond on both side of gasket, thoes compond contains real cooper should raise the height of the gasket and give better seal, also i put the compond outside in between the pan and plenum, the vacumm will suck in the compond to fill in any gap it has. hope this works, i will check after next oil change.

Quick Reply: building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L