2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM
stocking2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L

hi, guys, i am new to this forum,it all begin after a miss fire code on cylinder 6. a low compression is found, i decide to rebuild the engine and make it more fuel economic by adding a msd ignition moduel, eliminate the belt drive fan, put fuel max to the imt sensor, raise operating temperture,all the works is done, and the engine run smooth, i will update the fuel economic after a tank of gas, also will upload more picture of work after i put it to my computer from iphone.

PROBLEM CAUSE WAS A LEAKING VALVE AFTER A LEAK CHECK.
I DECIDED TO CHANGE THE RINGS TOO, AND THE PLENUM GASKET.

piston cleaned and install in the order that it was removed

valve cleaned and work with a drill with grinding compound to get it seal.

cylinder head final leak test for installation.

install msd modual that i removed from previous car, and the fuel max for ram 1500 $20

cooling fan and fan control total cost of $80

Attached Thumbnails building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L-qq-20121108174526.jpg  

Last edited by stocking2; 12-09-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
dlyter09
Champion

My guess is it will be no better then a well maintained truck.. Thats just my 2 cents... Looking forward to what you come up with.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun with a cooked transmission.

Raising the operating temperature is all well and good but, the transmission is dependent on the proper temp for it's oil. So by raising that temp you're also killing your trans.

Oh, and get better grammar and spelling skills.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Raising operating temp? Prepare for detonation due to nucleate boiling.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Haters gon hate.. Your transmission will be fine... These 46res are impossible to kill..

Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Raising operating temp? Prepare for detonation due to nucleate boiling.
lol wut?
Originally Posted by dlyter09
Haters gon hate.. Your transmission will be fine... These 46res are impossible to kill..
Please tell me you're joking, if not, I will find you and um....steal your transmission.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
stocking2
Amateur

thank you for the replys, my truck has all the problem you guys had, a crack dash, tranny problem, leaking ac, i bought it as junk, 1200. thoes problem were fixed , tranny fixed by changing the governer solennoid , and sensor, dash putting sillicon, ac charge with more ester oil no leak now. yes the detonation happen after raise temperture, but goes away when i put 91 octane gas, i will put lucas transmission fluid to help for the raise temperture. to dude94 this not english forum, as long you understand what i said i pass english class.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Good luck!!!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

If you have to use a higher grade fuel to stop the pinging because you increased the temps, any mileage increase really isn't going to pay for itself.

And it may not be an English forum, but damnit, if you give us a wall of words with no proper puncutation or spelling, any help you get will likely move on. TL;DR

Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM
peshewa
Veteran

First of all, dont go by the slickest advertising on aftermarket products. Stickers dont make it run better or faster. The temp thing is not the direction you want to go, the same goes for higher octane. Higher octane fuel burns off faster thus meaning lowered mileage. Here is my best advice - electric fans are good. It is an air pump, so free up the air going in & out of it. High flow air filter - does not need to be overpriced k&n, a universal cone one for $25 works great. A high flow or gutted or removed cat is next & a high flow muffler. If you like big sound go with a flow master 40 but I found it punishing to live with within 3 weeks of daily driving. Go with copper standard truck plugs since you have the MSD unit. NEVER use boshe plugs, I have seen more than a few motors with holes in the pistons due to pre detination caused by plugs with all that extra meat on the end that turns them into glow plugs thusly causing pre detination. I use denso iridum without the msd unit. Recap - slickest oil, highest in/out air flow is best. A higher flow aluminum radiator is also good with fresh coolant. Also - dont get glued to 1 way just because you invested $$$ into it. If it does not work or pisses you off after a while, change it & move on. Everyone makes mistakes & thankfully I am not glued to mine. Let us know how it works out for you!

Quick Reply: building a most fuel economic ram 1500 5.2L