2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

straight piping the truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack43
hey yall, planning on having my truck straight piped next week, keeping the cat on. sick of the flowmaster. is there really any difference in sound between running a y pipe after the cat and dualing it from there and just running one pipe after the cat? thanks.
To answer this question, yes there is a difference. If your cat is not gutted it should not sound that bad, but it won't be much louder. And if you split it, it will be the same sound, just out of two pipes instead of one, not twice as loud though. I did this once on a bronco I had. Thing is, it failed inspection because, in my state, there has to be some kind of muffler on the vehicle. Now, if your cat is gutted, thats another story, it would be loud when you get on it and then you will have the raspiness and cracking that others are mentioning. When I had mine straight piped with a good cat, I did not have cracking or popping.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran mine that way a couple times. I thought the idle and WOT sounds cool but everything else too me sounds bad. Plus everyone in the county including cops looks to see about all the commotion every time you hit the gas. For all the sound you make you better be going 1000 mph. Problem is you are still going the same speed as always. I always end up putting my muffler back on. Maybe if I lived out in the country I might like it more.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are bent on straight piped exhaust I see no reason to express my own opinion about it.

If I were you I would run a single 3" pipe after the cat dumped out the side before the passenger side rear wheel. If you change your mind about the tone later, you can cut out the cat, put a muffler in, or both, etc. But I think the 3" would be the most affordable, move the air efficiently, and sound right.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I ran mine that way a couple times. I thought the idle and WOT sounds cool but everything else too me sounds bad. Plus everyone in the county including cops looks to see about all the commotion every time you hit the gas. For all the sound you make you better be going 1000 mph. Problem is you are still going the same speed as always. I always end up putting my muffler back on. Maybe if I lived out in the country I might like it more.
I agree.
I test drove a 98 360 that was straight-piped from the non-existant cat back with dual's. Idle sounded good, low end sounded good, everything else sounded annoying. It wasn't just loud, it was just an annoying exhaust note.

Then again, that's why I have my nice, semi-quiet Thrush.

(you gotta love me and you know it)

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dump it with a 45* under the bed pointing toward the ground. sound waves will bounce up and down making it louder

Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brian_
dump it with a 45* under the bed pointing toward the ground. sound waves will bounce up and down making it louder
I have that

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
JaegeRam

I'm trying a new solution to the o2 thing and wondered if I'm wasting my time. I cut off the cat and y-straight-y-ed out with no hole for sensor. My plan is to hook-up the wire for sensor 1 to sensor 2 and the wire for 2 to 1. Then I'll find a cozy spot for 1 to hang out in the nice fresh air. Is this doomed or dumb to try?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by JaegeRam
I'm trying a new solution to the o2 thing and wondered if I'm wasting my time. I cut off the cat and y-straight-y-ed out with no hole for sensor. My plan is to hook-up the wire for sensor 1 to sensor 2 and the wire for 2 to 1. Then I'll find a cozy spot for 1 to hang out in the nice fresh air. Is this doomed or dumb to try?
Not a good idea. Do you have any idea how O2 sensor's work?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you want the engine to run right, and be reasonably efficient (well, as efficient as they get anyway...) Weld on the bungs for BOTH O2 sensors, and do the non-fouler trick on the rear O2. (there is a thread in the faq section about that....) Anything else, and you are compromising performance, and efficiency.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

I've had done my exhaust both ways OP had mentioned, straight pipe after the cat y-ed to dual and single. The dual was 2 1/2 inch pipe with 3" tips, and the single I have now is 3" pipe with 4" tip. From my experience the single is slightly louder and after I installed a magnaflow cat it is slightly louder yet. I wouldn't want this thing any louder than it is, IMHO it sounds good.

Quick Reply: straight piping the truck