2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mopar or Hughes Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
RedRocket2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar or Hughes Manifold?

Hey folks, i was originally going to order a hughes fi airgap air intake manifold but i read a disturbing thread about the product quality from those guys and the customer service. Do you guys have any thoughts about this, is one better then the other or what?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Hughes Air Gap is an edelbrock manifold drilled for injectors. Fair number of folks here have one, and like it. Several folks have the M1 as well, and like IT. Merc225HP has the M1, hopefully he will chime in.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
RedRocket2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love this website you can just bull**** all the time haha but i thought that hughes intake was very attractive and gave better airflow of course according to hughes

Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As HeyYou has posted the Hughes intake is a reworked 4bbl carb intake that was never meant to be a mpi intake. I have the M1 and love it, with other supporting mods you will gain bottom end not lose any at all like you have read, it's cheaper and bolts on without any other stuff to deal with. The Air Gap needs things like the cross over fuel line and a adapter plate to go from a 4bbl to a 2bbl, and one other thing is you will need to make a spot for the IAT as it has no provision for one. I wont say don't get the Hughes intake but I suggest you do some more research on it before you drop the coin on it. The M1 is bought from a Dodge/Mopar dealer or a online store, so you deal with a proper part dealer.

Here it is on my motor.

Name:  2013-01-11_16-13-21_311_zps6252c725.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  101.3 KB

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-23-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fixed miss wording
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lolz to RedRocket.

merc225hp guided me to the choice of the M1 a year ago. I ran it the whole year till a few days ago b/c of CA emissions. I just passed smog with the Keg back on and will replace it back.

I wanted a IM that didn't require a need to be tuned from the start. I wanted an IM that was direct bolt on. I've come to stick to Mopar parts where possible.

I can't speak to any exact numbers other than what my butt felt. I DD my truck and wheel it pretty often. Rock trails, OHV park, snow wheeling, a little mud that is for my area. The first thing catching my attention...that I'm already missing, is the throttle response straight from idle. It's especially useful when I'm doing some krawling. The keg tends to do a lurching, which is b/c of the way the air charge is sitting there and available rather than free flowing. It's not a huge detriment for DD needs and such, but is an issue for me and controlled throttle.

There are other mods to compliment it better over time for myself.

I believe there are 3 ppl here with the M1 (active). Myself, merc, and FireDodge (got his just recently though).

I haven't seen (or just don't recall) any active Air Gap posters. Wait...dhvaughn or is it drewactual?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Lolz to RedRocket.

merc225hp guided me to the choice of the M1 a year ago. I ran it the whole year till a few days ago b/c of CA emissions. I just passed smog with the Keg back on and will replace it back......
What prevents the M1 from passing emission testing? I just moved to a county that does emission testing for state inspection, and was considering this for my next mod.

So you have the numbers from the failed test? I wonder if I can find out what the Texas emission requirment is and if it would pass here or not.

There is only about hlf a dozen of the 254 counties in Texas that require emission testing. Darn my luck, I picked one that does!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Lolz to RedRocket.

merc225hp guided me to the choice of the M1 a year ago. I ran it the whole year till a few days ago b/c of CA emissions. I just passed smog with the Keg back on and will replace it back.

I wanted a IM that didn't require a need to be tuned from the start. I wanted an IM that was direct bolt on. I've come to stick to Mopar parts where possible.

I can't speak to any exact numbers other than what my butt felt. I DD my truck and wheel it pretty often. Rock trails, OHV park, snow wheeling, a little mud that is for my area. The first thing catching my attention...that I'm already missing, is the throttle response straight from idle. It's especially useful when I'm doing some krawling. The keg tends to do a lurching, which is b/c of the way the air charge is sitting there and available rather than free flowing. It's not a huge detriment for DD needs and such, but is an issue for me and controlled throttle.

There are other mods to compliment it better over time for myself.

I believe there are 3 ppl here with the M1 (active). Myself, merc, and FireDodge (got his just recently though).

I haven't seen (or just don't recall) any active Air Gap posters. Wait...dhvaughn or is it drewactual?
Awesome sauce there WN and nice write up on the M1. You always were better at saying thing's than me. I think Hahnz5.2 has the M1 as well and that truck is turbo-ed.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-23-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Fixed Hahnz5.2 name spelling
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
What prevents the M1 from passing emission testing? I just moved to a county that does emission testing for state inspection, and was considering this for my next mod.

So you have the numbers from the failed test? I wonder if I can find out what the Texas emission requirment is and if it would pass here or not.

There is only about hlf a dozen of the 254 counties in Texas that require emission testing. Darn my luck, I picked one that does!
My bad, I should have clarified as it's a good point with respect to different states emissions. Mine just sucks the ever lift outta ya.

I did a smog test with the M1 on just to see what would happen. It passed the emissions test. It failed on not having an E.O. CARB number. Meaning it's not 50 state legal...CA fufu it or Mopar etc. did not want to pay and generate the documentation....etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Wn has posted a response to a Q. So my post has been deleted.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Awesome sauce there WN and nice write up on the M1. You always were better at saying thing's than me. I think Hanz5.2 has the M1 as well and that truck is turbo-ed.
Roger roger.

Oh yeah Hahnz and his thumbing-his-nose-turbo.

Quick Reply: Mopar or Hughes Manifold?