2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

redneck_rams 360 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
have you done a compression test? if you get anything over 100 psi you are good. if you want more compression could could try filling the cylinders with gas. i can't say for sure but i think that is why i see 150+psi on all the cylinders in my 81. when i first got it the engine would literally flood with gas to the point the starter could not turn the engine over. i am guessing at the same time it removed all the carbon and crap from the rings and allowed the rings to seal better. just had to do lots of oil changes after.
im gonna do a compression test here in the coming days(if it gets warmer). curious to find out what my numbers are. if theyre too low, i may just look for a 360 short block, and swap that in.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

don't forget the engine has to been run for a few minutes before you do the test and don't forget to hold the throttle open while doing the test. also don't forget about doing a wet test after you do a dry test. then you know exactly what shape your engine is in.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

don't forget the engine has to been run for a few minutes before you do the test and don't forget to hold the throttle open while doing the test. also don't forget about doing a wet test after you do a dry test. then you know exactly what shape your engine is in.
this isnt my first rodeo... but thank you kind sir!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

just making sure. i know there are some other people around here that may not know.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

just making sure. i know there are some other people around here that may not know.
very true. ive done it before, only once, but ive done it before. im not going to do a wet test, cause if the dry numbers are low, im just gonna get a 360 short block.

speaking of... anyone know where i can buy a long, or short block?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

but if you don't do a wet test you won't know if you have had rings or bad heads.

rockauto has some long blocks but if you go for a 5.9 you may have to hit the junkyards or or CL for a core.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

but if you don't do a wet test you won't know if you have had rings or bad heads.

rockauto has some long blocks but if you go for a 5.9 you may have to hit the junkyards or or CL for a core.
i already know i have cracked heads. how much oil do i put in the cc? im used to imports...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leak down test will tell you more. Do you have a compressor? Do a google search on how to build one (tester). Don't go buy a short or long block off the web call around to a few machine shops in your area and see what they have to say, see what they have on the shelves or have them build it to your specs. A motor should be a person to person thing not a web thing. An average cost to rebuild a 5.9 up here is $1800 should be cheaper down there.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i just squirt a squirt or 2 of oil from my oiling can but if you know your head are cracked i guess it does not make that much difference.

did you know you can screw an air fitting right into the spark plug hole? i just think you would need to get rid of the stupid heat shields thing to hook an air line to it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

so im ordering the m1, install kit, mopar hardened push rods, and lifters from chrysler parts direct for a whopping 590.75, not including shipping. im gonna go to my local dealer with the part #'s tomorrow, and use my old works discount, and see what the cost will be. hoping it will be cheaper!

also, ordering the crane cam, and getting the odessa head custom built by odessa for my needs, with new springs to work with the cam!

Last edited by redneck_ram; 01-24-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: redneck_rams 360 build thread