2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Longtube headers on 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

OK... Pacesetter LT's fitted.

Being a Reg Cab SB, there wasn't room I hoped for the Cat, so that was scratched.
After the Y-pipe I just have a 5"x8"x24" c-c Magnaflow muffler and tail pipe (w/4" tip).
Put the DS O2 in just before the muffler... so far, no codes, but will do the the plug saver trick if needed.

The driver-side header was a fitment issue.
Some had said the starter didn't need pulling (despite that being in the instructions) but not only did I have to pull the starter, but I had to undo the engine mount and jack it up a couple of inches to get the header in.
Once in, there is very little (~¼") clearance to the frame rail... lucky the engine torques the other direction and I don't get a hit.
Where I did have interference was the front tail-shaft balance weight hitting the collector... a little heat and leverage took care of this.

Continuing on the driver-side, the Y-pipe clears the universal on the front of the transfer-case by ~½", but interfered with a lobe on the side of the transfer-case (flat on the bottom, likely for install support?)... this was cut off to clear.

So, it's all in and nicely secured... time to test drive.
Sound wise, I wasn't looking for loud, but merely a deeper throaty tone... I got exactly what I wanted, though just a little louder... a great V8 sound.
There seems to be more power, but........

Now, for the down side... if accelerating anything more than mildly, the universal on the front of the transfer-case hits the Y-pipe.
This only happens at lower speeds when accelerating harder... at higher speed it doesn't happen no matter how hard you accelerate, so it's a torquing issue.

I don't want to collapse the pipe in this area to gain clearance if I don't have to (it would be a longer length and greater amount than I had to on the collector).

What are your thoughts on why I've had the fitment issues that others have not?

Any suggestions on how to gain the clearance needed, or lessen the movement under load?

TiA,

Last edited by Spillage; 11-30-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These are what I went with to control motor slop in the junk motor mounts. They should solve your problem. Would it help to clock the xcase down at all?

1994-02 Motor Mount Insert Set - Ram 2500 / 3500 2 & 4WD 5.9L Cummins Diesel 5.1114

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=5.1114

Edit to add pix of said motor mount insert.

Name:  IMG01941_zpsbd92a853.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG01937_zps87729e52.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  47.6 KB

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-01-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check the rear trans mount as well. Going to a poly mount probably wouldn't hurt any back there.

Merc's idea is an excellent one. Question though: Did you get any more 'vibration feel' from the harder mounts?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the rear trans mount as well. Going to a poly mount probably wouldn't hurt any back there.

Merc's idea is an excellent one. Question though: Did you get any more 'vibration feel' from the harder mounts?
I have yet to find a poly trany mount, I looked but not that hard. Find one let me know as I will get one asap.

Yes you will feel more of the motors harmonics through out the truck using these mounts, but its very minor. After a week you get used to it.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I have yet to find a poly trany mount, I looked but not that hard. Find one let me know as I will get one asap.

Yes you will feel more of the motors harmonics through out the truck using these mounts, but its very minor. After a week you get used to it.
You are quite right. No one seems to make them...... Not even the major manufacturers.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

So long as the engine's running smooth, "feeling it" I don't think is a problem... and may even be an advantage in disguise when it's not.

I take it the 1500 gas mounts are the same is the 2500 diesel mounts?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think ALL the motor mounts are pretty much the same.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Then I'll give this a try and see how much it helps.

Seeing that mount picture reminds me... the DS heat shield got damaged during install, and is now floppy, so at certain RPM's it abbreviates against the mount, making a tinny noise.
There seems to be much more distance between the header and the mount than there was between the stock manifold and mount... I'm thinking I could do away with the shield with no ill effect.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Old 12-01-2013, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spillage
Then I'll give this a try and see how much it helps.

Seeing that mount picture reminds me... the DS heat shield got damaged during install, and is now floppy, so at certain RPM's it abbreviates against the mount, making a tinny noise.
There seems to be much more distance between the header and the mount than there was between the stock manifold and mount... I'm thinking I could do away with the shield with no ill effect.
Pic of the heatsheild in question? I don't think my truck even has one.

Quick Reply: Longtube headers on 4x4?