2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New ECU Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take one! When do you think it's going to be done and how much?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

How are you planning on syncing sequential injection without a cam sensor?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Fuel injection is timed by degrees (not fuel sync in relation to valves), and is based on degrees ATDC (+1*) or BTDC (-1*). Crankshaft position sensor provides the signal I need to provide the ECM the signal for both timing of ignition and timing of fuel injection. If you were to go into the software, you would notice a menu called "Injection Timing". In there you can set the timing curve for fuel injection (yes you can set injection advance, even on port based systems!), based on engine RPM and temperature. And yes the ECU knows that the crankshaft is turning twice as fast as the camshaft, so it is able to ensure injection only occurs 1 time per 2 revolutions. So you will need to know what degree on which revolution you want injection to occur.

Edit: TDC terms were wrong...

Last edited by aofarrell2; 07-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Trouble is, the PCM has no way of determining WHICH cylinder is in firing position without the cam sensor. I think only the six has a 'double hump' signal on one cylinder. And you can't expect the PCM to figure it out without some additional input either. The engine doesn't always stop in the exact same place, and if you lost battery power for whatever reason, it would 'forget' where it was.

Got to have some way to clue the PCM in as to just which cylinder is where for sequential to work.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

I didn't catch that HeyYou. Thanks for showing me - I'll have to check that out. Now my Q is, anyone know what sort of signal the Camshaft Position Sensor produces?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called Megasquirt and the wiring isn't that hard.

I have no idea on how you plan to have sequential injections without a cam sensor. Nor can EDIS be used without a 36-1 crank wheel.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 07-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cam sensor is simply a hall effect switch. It is "On" for one crankshaft revolution, and "Off" for the next. Where the switch switches state clues in the PCM as to which injector is up next in the rotation. So, when it switches from off to on, cylinder number 1 gets injector pulse. When it switches from on to off, cylinder 6 gets injector pulse. (I may have that backwards though....)

Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Cam sensor is simply a hall effect switch. It is "On" for one crankshaft revolution, and "Off" for the next. Where the switch switches state clues in the PCM as to which injector is up next in the rotation. So, when it switches from off to on, cylinder number 1 gets injector pulse. When it switches from on to off, cylinder 6 gets injector pulse. (I may have that backwards though....)
Yeah, you need the cam sensor to tell the PCM which stroke the cylinder is on.

With a missing tooth crank wheel you can tell which cylinder is at what angle, but still can't determine what stroke. This is suitable for a wasted spark ignition (which EDIS is).

Personally after having both sequential and batch injection on my truck, batch is not a big deal.

I submit to the jury that MS3X is capable of using the stock crank and cam sensors, controlling the IAC, sequential injection and controlling the ignition coil and being installed parrelel to the stock PCM so tranny, dash and voltage regulation functions remain intact.

Moreover, an ECU that replaces the stock PCM will have no way of controlling the stock tranny, nobody has been able to accomplish that yet AFAIK.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

according to theory, megasquirt actually made a trans controller.... but, it was pretty much DIY as to making it work... Old info, don't know if it has been improved, or simply dropped.

There are controllers available for the 47RE..... Don't see why it wouldn't work for the 46, all the electronics are the same part numbers....

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting project, and as a programmer I am curious to know what language the ECM uses.

Quick Reply: New ECU Project