2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New ECU Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ECU Project

I've told a few people about this project of mine, and they are wanting to know more, so I decided to start a thread here.

I've been working on, for about 6-8 months now, an aftermarket PCM replacement that is affordable for the 1994-1997 Dodge Ram trucks with V6, V8, and V10 gasoline engines.

I've run out of time here, but will add more later today.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Something that comes with software for my laptop, and uses a USB cable for communication would be nice......

Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Yes, it would come with software, documentation, and either a USB or Serial cable (Serial comes with USB adapter, works just fine). you can pay me to write a tune, or tune it yourself. It is NOT a lockable unit, i.e. if some one tunes it they can't lock it to prevent others from tuning it.

Software requires Windows 2000, XP, or 7 with Java installed.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Make one for a 98.5 and I'd be happy.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
I've told a few people about this project of mine, and they are wanting to know more, so I decided to start a thread here.

I've been working on, for about 6-8 months now, an aftermarket PCM replacement that is affordable for the 1994-1997 Dodge Ram trucks with V6, V8, and V10 gasoline engines.

I've run out of time here, but will add more later today.
Don't be hatin' like that!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you're working on something for OBD1 basically

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Make one for a 98.5 and I'd be happy.
Originally Posted by stewie01
Don't be hatin' like that!
Okay, okay, I'll add late models, up to 2001, and some 2002 models.

What I'm working on is a PCM that will plug directly in place of your current PCM. This means no hassle, plug-n-play. It uses the same connectors.

Throw your ideas out here, and what you want to see in it.

So far (depending on model, I've got several in works, so different people can buy what they need at a price they can afford) these are some of the features that will be available:

- Fully sequential injection (batch is available as well)
- ECU (Engine Control Unit) supports turbocharging control natively
- Water injection support (for racing vehicles)
- EDIS (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System)
- Nitrous injection (for racing vehicles)
- Tachometer driver (to run the cluster tach)

So far I've confirmed that my controller inputs are within range of the factory Dodge sensors. The following sensors will be used:

- Crankshaft Position Sensor (Camshaft position sensor is NOT used)
- Engine Coolant Temperature
- (1) upstream O2 sensor on early models, (2) upstream O2 on later models. No downstream sensor is required, however, all O2 sensors MUST be Wideband O2 sensors from Bosch or equivalent (provided with kit).
- Intake Air Temperature Sensor
- MAP Sensor (Note: a Mass Air Flow system would be optional for those who want something better, if turbo is used, MAP sensor is used in addition to the MAF sensor). Although not normally required for naturally aspirated engines, a wideband MAP is recommended. Wideband MAP is required for forced aspiration (supercharging, turbo, etc.).
- TPS Sensor
- IAC is re-used

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
So you're working on something for OBD1 basically
OBD1 and OBD2. Covering year range 1994 to 2001, and certain 2002 models.

I'm still working on some of the fine points, such as cruise control, and now I'm working on a DCU (dash control unit, for running the newer style instrument cluster, 1998.5 and newer). I have not figured out the TCU (transmission control unit, automatics only), but have something almost figured out now.

The kit provides everything needed to just plug and play. I'm using somewhat of a modular design, i.e., the different control modules can be replaced separately, so for instance if the voltage regulator goes bad, there will be no need to replace the whole PCM, you can easily replace JUST the voltage regulator. It makes it cheaper to repair WHEN something happens - because things will always happen no matter the quality of the product (quality means things just happen less frequently than others products).

More later, quite the writeup

Let me know what you want in it!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds really interesting!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Got my interest up. What I'd like to see is something that performs all the same functions as the stock PCM with the added bonus of being able to tune the PCM settings yourself with a laptop and corresponding software. There also should be a method to reset the PCM to factory like settings for do-overs. All other features would be gravy to me, as of now.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Currently, that is what I am working on, is one that JUST replaces the factory PCM without all the extra fancy features. And yes you can tune it on your own with a laptop and the software comes with it too. As far as resetting the PCM to factory settings, there isn't really a option in the software to do that, however my factory tune will be available to the public, so you can just load that into the software and flash it to the PCM in just 10 seconds (yes literally). IIRC, you can actually adjust the tuning of the engine while it is running - and yes you can read live data.

Just one little important note: This PCM is NOT OBD1 or OBD2 compliant, as far as throwing codes goes, and it doesn't have a OBD1 or OBD2 interface. You can read ALL live data on the fly without extra software though, which is almost better than OBD2 live data.

Quick Reply: New ECU Project