2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not slipping. That's the weird thing.

Grand Prairie is sorta. I don't have the money for an NV4500 either.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Mine never felt like it was slipping.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Didn't your torque converter go out?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Didn't your torque converter go out?
Mine did. But the only symptom was dropping OD, and eventually a trans temp light. Fluid always looked and smelled fine. Trans shifted fine, all be it not into OD once it dropped out (after about a 1/2 hour of driving).

By the way, fuel consumption with OD on the expressway is terrible! LOL So while the temptation was to just keep driving it until the the transmission eventually failed, I decided that getting OD back into working condition would save me enough fuel to pay for the new tranny in about a year or two.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
Mine did. But the only symptom was dropping OD, and eventually a trans temp light. Fluid always looked and smelled fine. Trans shifted fine, all be it not into OD once it dropped out (after about a 1/2 hour of driving).

By the way, fuel consumption with OD on the expressway is terrible! LOL So while the temptation was to just keep driving it until the the transmission eventually failed, I decided that getting OD back into working condition would save me enough fuel to pay for the new tranny in about a year or two.
Well, thanks for the insight.

That's the weird thing: no slips, OD is fine.

What if my transmission ran a tad hot one day? What would the fluid look like?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Gets browner if it's burnt. ATF +4 doesn't change color/smell that much though. (from MonteC's thread)

@dodge (no underscore) dude: On page six of monte's thread, is a list of parts for a member that regularly towed a 7k pound trailer. You don't have to use all of it, but, it has a very nice list of heavy duty parts.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

My torque converter clutch refused to unlock, but that was a symptom of other problems. not the main problem.

For upgrading a trans, ALWAYS install a larger than factory auxiliary cooler, AND a REMOTE FILTER KIT on the cooler lines. Also, put a port on the cooling lines to check pressure - below 40psi and that trans is in trouble.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I don't have that worry...
I would get bored in an automatic...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gets browner if it's burnt. ATF +4 doesn't change color/smell that much though. (from MonteC's thread)

@dodge (no underscore) dude: On page six of monte's thread, is a list of parts for a member that regularly towed a 7k pound trailer. You don't have to use all of it, but, it has a very nice list of heavy duty parts.
I have that post from MonteC's thread pulled up, I just haven't looked up the PN's. The fluid doesn't smell burnt, I don't think, but I also haven't smelled burnt trans. fluid. It doesn't smell fresh that's for sure. It might be burnt. Think the check valve might be inhibiting flow? I don't get positive engagement for the first start of the day, unless I hit the gas harder, I have to let it idle in neutral for a few seconds, then it engages reverse. Never tried forward gears like that.
Originally Posted by beginningjockey
My torque converter clutch refused to unlock, but that was a symptom of other problems. not the main problem.

For upgrading a trans, ALWAYS install a larger than factory auxiliary cooler, AND a REMOTE FILTER KIT on the cooler lines. Also, put a port on the cooling lines to check pressure - below 40psi and that trans is in trouble.
So you did have problems with your torque converter?
Depending on when it goes out finally and how much money I have I will definitely be installing a cooler. Money will decide on the remote filter.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I have that post from MonteC's thread pulled up, I just haven't looked up the PN's. The fluid doesn't smell burnt, I don't think, but I also haven't smelled burnt trans. fluid. It doesn't smell fresh that's for sure. It might be burnt. Think the check valve might be inhibiting flow? I don't get positive engagement for the first start of the day, unless I hit the gas harder, I have to let it idle in neutral for a few seconds, then it engages reverse. Never tried forward gears like that.

So you did have problems with your torque converter?
Depending on when it goes out finally and how much money I have I will definitely be installing a cooler. Money will decide on the remote filter.
Yes I did have problems with my torque converter, but not because of a failed torque converter, when I lost second gear all that trash went into the t/c and jammed it in the locked position. It was pretty sudden, although I did have warning because my band inside the transmission was 1/4" too loose, and I had lots of material in my pan, and the tranny acted worn out, then boom I lost 2nd, then 1st, and all I had was 3rd and 4th with tcc locked... Ugghhh

Quick Reply: Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?