2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Yes I did have problems with my torque converter, but not because of a failed torque converter, when I lost second gear all that trash went into the t/c and jammed it in the locked position. It was pretty sudden, although I did have warning because my band inside the transmission was 1/4" too loose, and I had lots of material in my pan, and the tranny acted worn out, then boom I lost 2nd, then 1st, and all I had was 3rd and 4th with tcc locked... Ugghhh
Currently I have all my gears, but I'm definitely going to baby it now.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Best thing you can do for it, is change the fluid and filter, and then when you fill it, fill it with ATF+4, but one quart less than normal, that one quart fill with DexMerc, the added friction in the DexMerc can save a failing auto - did it on our van and it made a HUGE difference in the amount of slippage, better than any additive did. But do that at your own risk - I provide no guarantees, just saying in my experience (and of some of my friends) it has worked wonders...

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I think that when I do the fluid change, I'll just to a stock change as there is no slippage.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you find a bunch of material in the bottom of the pan, don't clean it, leave it in the pan and try to reuse your fluid. if most of your clutch material is in the pan then you need it to stay in there. the material floating around in the fluid will allow some friction for your worn clutches. I have ran across this situation 2 times, but I decided to clean it out, 1-2k later I had to rebuild.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

So I'm better off just leaving it and saving up? I hadn't thought about it that way. Always thought that that crap getting into the TC would just grenade everything quicker.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Jigabop
Champion

automatics are confusing...shifting on their own and what not... like a possessed transmission! kill it with fire!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I think mine might be trying to do just that.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
if you find a bunch of material in the bottom of the pan, don't clean it, leave it in the pan and try to reuse your fluid. if most of your clutch material is in the pan then you need it to stay in there. the material floating around in the fluid will allow some friction for your worn clutches. I have ran across this situation 2 times, but I decided to clean it out, 1-2k later I had to rebuild.
While I won't disagree that the material floating around will cause friction, it WILL clog other parts and will cause worse damage to the tranny, that is why I mix the DexMerc with the standard.

DD, if there is stuff in your pan it's slipping no ifs and or buts about it, you won't always feel a slipping trans.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
While I won't disagree that the material floating around will cause friction, it WILL clog other parts and will cause worse damage to the tranny, that is why I mix the DexMerc with the standard.

DD, if there is stuff in your pan it's slipping no ifs and or buts about it, you won't always feel a slipping trans.
Great.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Jigabop
Champion

thats why autos have a filter inside the trans...to filter out all the crap floating around...

Quick Reply: Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?