2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So long Dana 44

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Sounds like a plan. I think that the D60/70 even with drum brakes wouldn't be bad, especially if you upgraded the wheel cylinders to GM 1-ton cylinders. The darn disc brake rears are hard to find. lol

And when the wife says your truck looks stupid, ya better fix it. Besides, it's a great excuse for more mods!
You can find rear discs any day of the week, just have to pay for them. I'm a tight *** and just kept holding out, but now I'll probably go with a drum just to get one in. On a side note, I'm digging the 3rd gen rims on a 2nd gen.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
newman1367
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
The 8800 gvw caliper piston dia is much bigger than the 4500 and the 7500 calipers, so a larger master was needed to match the bigger piston size. If I was running the 7500 calipers on a 1500 truck/diff I would really look at installing the bigger master.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even think about something like that!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by newman1367
You can find rear discs any day of the week, just have to pay for them. I'm a tight *** and just kept holding out, but now I'll probably go with a drum just to get one in. On a side note, I'm digging the 3rd gen rims on a 2nd gen.
Must be different up there because you can't find 'em down here.
All drum rears.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good work broham!! You'll be the talk for awhile with different lugs, but hey it rolls!

As for the brakes, I'm thinking that swap is not necessary on the master cylinder. This is b/c you already have dual piston calipers and the parts manual shows the same part number for the MC. They also list alternative MCs for the other lines, however, it's the same PN. That at least implies it's the same MC on all lines for the 00 year.

You just may need to shake the axle down. Maybe consider disconnecting the front driveshaft temporarily.

What year was the axle again?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by KasperR34

All you have to do is ask your truck nicely
Putting your truck on cinder blocks in this fashion is inherently dangerous. The blocks aren't designed to support weight in that orientation, and even just hitting it wrong with a tool will cause them to disintegrate..... then gravity takes over, and really bad things happen.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Rescue35
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Putting your truck on cinder blocks in this fashion is inherently dangerous. The blocks aren't designed to support weight in that orientation, and even just hitting it wrong with a tool will cause them to disintegrate..... then gravity takes over, and really bad things happen.
I was going to mention that too... until I saw the truck is on jack stands (behind the block). The blocks just appear to be holding the calipers.

Probably good to mention it anyway for the random passer by. Jack stands are cheaper than a funeral.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
As for the brakes, I'm thinking that swap is not necessary on the master cylinder. This is b/c you already have dual piston calipers and the parts manual shows the same part number for the MC. They also list alternative MCs for the other lines, however, it's the same PN. That at least implies it's the same MC on all lines for the 00 year.

You just may need to shake the axle down. Maybe consider disconnecting the front driveshaft temporarily.

What year was the axle again?

Yep you are right, master sports the 1.25 bore for the dual calipers.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue35
I was going to mention that too... until I saw the truck is on jack stands (behind the block). The blocks just appear to be holding the calipers.

Probably good to mention it anyway for the random passer by. Jack stands are cheaper than a funeral.
That's what I see too.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The truck wasn't on cinder blocks. The calipers were on the cinder blocks

Look at it again, and you can see my equally dangerous wooden block and jack stand set up.

But who cares in the long run? That was last year and the lift has been on and I have all my fingers still

Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by KasperR34
The truck wasn't on cinder blocks. The calipers were on the cinder blocks

Look at it again, and you can see my equally dangerous wooden block and jack stand set up.

But who cares in the long run? That was last year and the lift has been on and I have all my fingers still
You lived, the truck is together, and yes, I see the jackstands now. (Guess international orange just wasn't bright enough on first look.....)

Blocks under the stands is still better than the cinder blocks.

Quick Reply: So long Dana 44