2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

NEW design headlight question!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Check the selection on AMAutoparts.com as well.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the selection on AMAutoparts.com as well.
+1 was just about to post that! Rockauto.com should have them as well, but you'll probably need to find a harness.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GZakk
It wasn't a matter of how hard it would be, just a matter of looking at all my options to see which route I wanna take this time.
Do you have a picture of your upgrade? I couldn't really tell by the pictures in your garage.
Here are a couple.

Name:  IMG02601-1_zps7bdc85d1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMG02602_zps82e3721f.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  48.7 KB

Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM
GZakk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Here are a couple.

The more I keep looking into this set up the more I'm starting to like it. Is there a write up somewhere on this forum of how to achieve this? A lot of scattered information out there with random tidbits inserted. I'm vowing this is the last time I tear apart my front end to take headlights out.(Bambi basher needs to be removed each time.)

Attached Thumbnails NEW design headlight question!!-img02601-1_zps7bdc85d1.jpg   NEW design headlight question!!-img02602_zps82e3721f.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Those are stock, 99 and up, sport headlights. If you do some wiring magic, and install relays to power them, makes wiring a lot easier. I think there are kits for that available out there on the web.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
GZakk
Rookie

Those are stock, 99 and up, sport headlights. If you do some wiring magic, and install relays to power them, makes wiring a lot easier. I think there are kits for that available out there on the web.
I keep seeing people talk about relays, just not finding a good write up about how its done.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The basic idea is to have the headlight switch (a known problem on these trucks) simply control the low current control side of a relay. The relay would direct power directly from the battery, to whichever headlights you had on at the moment. Not only does this prevent the headlight switch from overheating, and potentially burning your truck to the ground, it also has the added advantage of making your lights brighter.

Here is a write up on it. (and yes, it was fun to find.) It's a quoted posted, as the original post seems to have simply disappeared......

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM
GZakk
Rookie

The basic idea is to have the headlight switch (a known problem on these trucks) simply control the low current control side of a relay. The relay would direct power directly from the battery, to whichever headlights you had on at the moment. Not only does this prevent the headlight switch from overheating, and potentially burning your truck to the ground, it also has the added advantage of making your lights brighter.

Here is a write up on it. (and yes, it was fun to find.) It's a quoted posted, as the original post seems to have simply disappeared......
Alright let me keep picking brains.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...=1#post2881678
Go to the 3rd post down.

Sounds legit right? I emailed the guy for the relay kit and he sent me an email of the same thing with a little more detail added.
First question that I have regarding the post.

You need:

-a set (left and right) of the '99-'01 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport headlamps. Get
the real ones from the dealer or www.chryslerpartsdirect.com , not the
Taiwanese knockoffs from eBay or elsewhere on the internet. Factory part
numbers are as follows: (and he lists numbers)

Those lights are well over $300 dollars.
Can I get away with buying "replacement lights" like these ones

http://headlightsdepot.com/products/...ll/CS163-B001P ?

and THEN

Why are these headlights different, OBVIOUSLY the fact that ones a conversion kit, but why are they different in color?

http://headlightsdepot.com/products/...H#.UhlK9tI3uSo

that is all for now.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never said it was a cheap upgrade lol but it is well worth the money. I agree with the guy get org Mopar light housings. They are the same headlight, one comes with the harness one does not. I made up my own harness that lets me control the inner bulbs separate from the main bulbs very handy opt.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM
GZakk
Rookie

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I never said it was a cheap upgrade lol but it is well worth the money. I agree with the guy get org Mopar light housings. They are the same headlight, one comes with the harness one does not. I made up my own harness that lets me control the inner bulbs separate from the main bulbs very handy opt.
So those probably wouldn't cut it then?
Are your's original mopar?
I haven't gone down and seen what the auto store prices are. (I get a decent discount through work)

Quick Reply: NEW design headlight question!!