2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bypass Transfer Case Vacuum Switch -- Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately (?) if you're like me, you might go all year and not need to shift into 4WD until you really need it (like it snows overnight). That's not the time you want to find out you've got a vacuum leak, or your collar slider thingy (too technical for you?) is sticking. That's why I'm glad I've got the Perm-Lok on my truck - I don't have to worry about vacuum leaks or something else to keep maintained. And it's a lot cheaper than putting in a one-piece axle on the long side.

I've never heard of the sliding collar breaking, but I've never done an exhaustive search. I guess anything can break if you put enough power to it.

Last edited by armynurse; 02-27-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would likely invest in the cable option. Posi lok? If my front axle had a CAD.

There are some benefits as has been pointed out. But everything also has a drawback. Overall I think there is nothing wrong with the idea of a CAD. Just the vacuum operation of the mechanism.

I am quite happy with my solid shaft axle. No CAD at all. Piece of mind.

I hear the electronically activated CADs of the fourth gen are much better.

Of course, locking hubs is the best of both worlds. But they stick out and like to hit things. And of course getting out to lock them in is a pain. Especially if you're in a situation where you just need to pull out of one small slick spot or whatever.

The early model dodge Dana 60s Can be converted to Ford's lock out hubs with some drilling and old Ford parts. So that is an option too.

I think i have gone off track enough here.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I would likely invest in the cable option. Posi lok? If my front axle had a CAD.

There are some benefits as has been pointed out. But everything also has a drawback. Overall I think there is nothing wrong with the idea of a CAD. Just the vacuum operation of the mechanism.

I am quite happy with my solid shaft axle. No CAD at all. Piece of mind.

I hear the electronically activated CADs of the fourth gen are much better.

Of course, locking hubs is the best of both worlds. But they stick out and like to hit things. And of course getting out to lock them in is a pain. Especially if you're in a situation where you just need to pull out of one small slick spot or whatever.

The early model dodge Dana 60s Can be converted to Ford's lock out hubs with some drilling and old Ford parts. So that is an option too.

I think i have gone off track enough here.
Yer onna roll Ham Bone! Keep it up!

Quick Reply: Bypass Transfer Case Vacuum Switch -- Feedback