2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Love it or list it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014 | 02:41 AM
Killam
|
Question Love it or list it?

So I find myself very discouraged with my vehicle situation and I am in need of some advice.

Let me start with some background.
I bought my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 about 3 years ago, it came with a 6in lift and 37in swampers and around 85kmiles on it. Right off the bat I had a couple problems. The 4wd wasn't working due to a vacuum actuator line and the oil pan was is obvious need of replacement. So I replaced the actuator line with a manual cable for durability and got a oil pan.
I drove the truck a little bit and thought it did alright offroad; however, I soon learned that it is certainly not a submarine. While exploring an unknown trail I found myself temporarily stuck in some deep water with a couple friends in the truck; never listen to your buddy when he says "just f*ing send it d00d!". We got out of the woods fine that night, but the next day is where all my troubles began really.

Probably about ten miles down the road and my transmission starts to slip, so I get out and check the fluid, only to discover a nice strawberry milkshake on the dipstick. Great! So I take the truck and try to have the fluids flushed out. Nope! Made it about 30secs down the road and the tranny completely gave out.
So now I have to take it to have the transmission rebuilt. Found a great guy who didn't dick me around and he did a great job. He has since retired. Anyway while I was there he pointed out to me that my axle seals needed to be replaced and that water had also gone inside the differential, but he had drained and replaced the fluid. Sweet! Thank you to my fellow brother in arms (he was also a veteran like myself).

So I am the kinda guy that likes to fix things better than they were in order to hopefully never have that same problem again. That being said unfortunately I do not have the tools nor the space to work on my vehicles. My only option is to try to find a trustworthy mechanic to do the work for me, and no offense but they hardly exist these days.

Anyway I found a shop on a local offroading community forum that I frequent, and I looked into the past work they had down and what people had said about them. Everything I found was positive, so I went ahead and brought my truck to this place called ken's offroad in Wilmont NH.
I wanted to swap to dana 60 with extended breathers, lower gears, and add ARB's. The guys there convinced me that I should go with a ford 9in instead, and that I should put a lunchbox locker in the front with an ARB in the back. I figured well these guys are the professionals, why not. While it was there I figured I would have them put a simple spare tire mount in the bed (all I wanted was a wing-nut to hold it down), and have them take out the carpet (because it still smelled pretty bad from that deep water I was in) to put some rhino liner on the floors in the cab.
A butt load of money later I finally got my truck back. Unfortunately they didn't make my spare tire mount the way I had asked, instead they made a custom display mount which holds the tire on with lugnuts, and for some reason which I can not remember their explanation I got a higher gear ration than I had asked for. Anyway on my way home the speedometer is being wonky and about two mins from home the driveshaft falls off the differential. So they come get it and "fix" the problem, I go get it and it happens again! This must have happened literally 7 or more times before they finally "fixed" it. They said one of the suspension blocks was cracked, so they replaced it and added stronger u-bolts and hardware.
By the time I finally got it back from them (around 6months later) it was now winter time. We had a huge storm so I took the truck to pick up my girl and of course engaged the 4wd. This is when I found out the on-road drivability of a lunchbox locker is crap. Every time I touched the gas the front of the truck would pull in one direction and when I let off it would pull the other way, which makes driving in a blizzard much more fun (sarcasm). Thankfully we somehow made it home that night.
The next morning everything was covered in 4ft of snow and it was time to clean up, so I climb in the truck and attempt to pull out of the driveway. The tires spin a bit and then all of a sudden SNAP! and now it sounds like the same noise as all those times when the driveshaft fell out; however after looking underneath that was not the case.
So once again they come to get pick up the truck. About a week later I finally here back from them that I broke a front and rear axle plus the ARB! So you would think that after doing all this work they would offer some kind or warranty or at least a discount, NOPE! They want another couple grand to fix everything plus they are going to charge me for picking up the truck this time when they had never in the past.
Now I went ahead and contacted the BBB. I got my truck back but I would still have to eat the bill for the repairs. OUTSTANDING!!!

A year passes and the truck sits cause I'm down on luck and money at this point. I just put in a rear axle before this winter hit, and had to replace all the brake lines, but now I'm faced with a laundry list, I'm not sure of everything I need, and I don't know if I should keep going down with ship.

Right now I know that my axle seals are leaking again, my speedometer isn't working, one of my pulley bearings needs to be replaced, and I need a front axle.
I want to...
  • Finally swap to dana 60's
  • Regear to 4.88
  • New rims because of new lug pattern
  • Get rid of the stacked blocks (not sure how though)
  • Change anything else that came with the cheap *** lift which makes any weak points
  • Get brakes to stop me much sooner! (also not sure)
  • Basically un-f*** everything and have a solid machine

I was looking at Dynatrac, but there is no way I can spring 7k for just one differential. I do know I can find a beat up 2nd gen RAM 2500 for under a thousand $

I have a trustworthy mechanic now, but he is a Remove and Replace guy only. So everything will have to bolt right up for the most part and he already told me he isn't keen on doing the gears cause he would have to charge me labor for his learning curve and doesn't want to be responsible if it is screwed up.

So what do you guys think? Should I sell the truck that I've probably invested over 16k into now with purchase and mods/repairs, even though I probably wont get more than 5k in its current condition?

Or..

Should I keep moving into this project, and if so whats your advice on a plan of action and parts to use?
I need to figure out how much I need to save if I do go this route.

*Things I forgot to mention...*
-When we put the truck on the lift the diff if visibly out of line and sagging to the left.
-They didn't even bother to put a plate or anything over the compressor they installed under the truck to protect it.

Last edited by Killam; 01-25-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Things I forgot to mention...
Old 01-25-2014 | 03:02 AM
merc225hp
Champion

First sorry to read this happend. I feel you were taken down the wrong path all the way then bent over.

While I do like Ford 9" diff under these truck I would never put one.

The Dana 60 front is a bolt in job, the rear Dana 60 just needs the leaf spring perches cut off and new ones welded on in a diff spot (spring perches are very cheap $12 for the set). Same brake lines can be used front and rear, e brake cables will also work. You will need a new rear DS for sure. I did my diff swap late this past summer EST cost with all new parts and rims everything was around $1500-$2000. Hands down the best thing I did to my truck diff wise. Braking with the 60's is outstanding even with rear drums.

37 and 4.88 is good.
To get rid of the rear blocks you need new lift leaf springs, about $500-$700 for the set.

I have more to add but its late so I will get back to this in the am. In the mean time there are two threads here where people have made up on this swap, sorry I have not yet.

Edit: There are some pix in here you can have a look at for what I did do not all are there.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/garage/...merc225hp.html

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-25-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2014 | 05:57 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Killam,
First off a big thanks to you for your service from one veteran to another.

Merc most likely is one of the best sources of info on the 60 swaps. You can swap out your rear leaf springs with ones from Superlift and totally get rid of the blocks. You should have never listened to the idiots at that off-road shop and done your 60 swap from the get go. They had to of done something wrong to the axles for you to break them like you did. And an ARB doesn't just break.
As far as the LockRite locker there is a learning curve to driving with them installed. This is normal with any type of auto locker doesn't matter if it is a LockRite or a Detroit locker. I have owned short wheelbase rigs with auto lockers and drove them in the snow and ice. You just have to relearn how to drive with them.
I would not give up at this point and just fix everything as time and money permits. Attack the stuff that has to be fixed first then make a list and move on down it.
There is tons of info here on the forum and some great folks that are more than willing to help. If you were closer I'd tell you to just get the axles installed and bring it over and I would install the gears and lockers for you. Been doing gears for years now and I am always willing to help out a friend in need.

Old 01-25-2014 | 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well...... you have a fair bit already invested, but, unfortunately, it appears you get to re-do all that work. Major bummer.

If it were me...... I would pick up on the cheap 2500, try and find one the same body style/bed length as yours, and you will have all the parts you need. Then, do to the axles what you want as far as gears/traction adders, etc, go. And get 'em installed. That should solve a fair few of your driveline problems.

Trouble is, you get to pay someone else to do it...... that gets expensive in a hurry.... I actually have the space/tools to do most my own work, which saves a bunch of money, given your current situation, entirely possible that you would be better off simply selling what you have now, and buying a 3/4 ton truck to work on..... might end up being cheaper/easier.

Old 01-25-2014 | 11:18 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Dude you got screwed over. I'm sorry to hear that. It really sucks.

As for Dana 60s they will basically fix all your problems. Braking with those giant calipers on the front is just much better then the 1500 axles ever did. Even with brand new calipers.

This is my swap thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/360429-dana-60-swap.html

It's long and boring sometimes but there is good stuff in there I promise

Old 01-25-2014 | 12:04 PM
Killam
|

Ugh. I wish there was a full DIY write up on the swap with pictures, links to parts, and without all the chatter in between. I've been doing a lot of reading and sifting though the posts is killing my eyes. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a end all be all dana 60 swap thread yet.

I know the mechanic personally, so I can help him when I get out of work, but it helps to know exactly what I am talking about and where to get exactly the right parts we will need.

Old 01-25-2014 | 12:13 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Yes there needs to be a full DIY. There is one for the front

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/237514-diy-dana-60-swap-for-1500-a.html

The front is literally bolt in. Comes out like the 44 and goes back just like it Would if the 44 was going back in. It's just bigger.

Rear is a lil more complicated. But not much.

I'm sure merc can you help you out with part numbers.

What parts you need though really depends on what you get and what shape they are in.

Old 01-25-2014 | 12:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion

I will start making a DIY today.

Old 01-25-2014 | 02:49 PM
Killam
|

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I will start making a DIY today.
That would be great Mark. I am sure many people including myself would find it very helpful and be very appreciative.

Old 01-26-2014 | 01:52 PM
merc225hp
Champion

^^^ About half way done this DIY should be up on the 1/28/14

Quick Reply: Love it or list it?