2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

To paint, wrap, or let it be....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014 | 09:40 AM
jmhai
|
Veteran
Default To paint, wrap, or let it be....

I have the clear coat and paint fading on the hood and roof with a small rust repair on the passages rear wheel well. I have gotten several quotes ranging From 700 to 900 to repaint. I did see a local ad for wrapping service, did not get a quote yet.. Has anybody done this if so how much and did you like it after. Or should I just let it be (because it's a 18 year old truck) and drive it for as long as possible even thought it will be for a long time because it only has 68,000 on the ODO as it sits now.. What you guys think.... Forgot the repaint is just the hood and roof with the small rust repair not the whole truck.

Old 05-18-2014 | 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fix the rust, and do the paintwork yourself. It's an 18 year old truck, doesn't need to be perfect, but, does need to be addressed to keep it a long time.

Old 05-18-2014 | 11:52 AM
jmhai
|
Veteran

Yea. The rust needs to be repaired that's a given, and I was thinking of spraying the roof black with a satin or gloss clear on the cheap myself. The hood I want to look really good and when it comes to paint the best I could pull off is adequate. So the roof is doable, but the hood needs a pro.. The wrap would have been a black or dark grey roof with same for hood or red (if a good match red) and fix the small rust spot and touch up paint myself... Just have not seen any Rams with a wrap.

Old 05-18-2014 | 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you just need the clear coat redone..... take all the trim off, buff it out good, wash it good, dry it better, then just shoot some clear at it. I think they only way you could screw it up is if you got some runs in it.... just be careful, and buff it again after the paint has cured.

Quick Reply: To paint, wrap, or let it be....