2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 4.56 Gear Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:28 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Nice write-up for a first time gear installer. First thing I'll point out for you is that there is a specific type of bearing puller made to pull pinion bearings and differential bearings.

Here it is shown on Ebay but I am sure you can find it for sale from other vendors.
Yukon Carrier Bearing Puller Dana GM Chrysler Tool | eBay

Next thing to know is that some install kits come with a spacer and shims to replace the crush sleeve as a lot of people would rather get rid of the crush sleeve when possible. I know when I am doing gears on a rig if I have the choice I'd switch to shims over a crush sleeve any day.

Good job and I am sure you feel better by doing it yourself. Now as a long time mechanic I can tell you we are not all out to just screw the customer. Many of us would rather do a good job and want to have that customer come back again plus talk well of us to their friends so we might gain new customers. Not all mechanics are bad and not every shop is bad. Just because you had a bad experience with one doesn't make us all that way.
Those clamshell pullers are nifty units and a definately a price that matches. Looking at the tool and its functioning, correct me if I am wrong but I believe it does not provide a splitting function, but acts only as a puller. On both the Chrysler 9.25" carrier and the D44 I have found the OD of the inner race of the carrier bearings to be the same if not smaller than the flange they butt up against. Here is a pic of the D44 carrier bearing inner race still on with the cage and rollers removed:

You literally need a knife edge to get in between to first separate, then you would be able to use the clamshell. I'm sure there are many carriers out there where the inner race is exposed and read to grab on to, but unfortunately not these ones. I tried using my splitter to separate on the rear but I ended up scarring up the case slightly and couldn't get in between, so I cut them. I grabbed a cheap table top press as well so the separator worked great in conjunction.

About the solid spacer, I have no problem using either a crush sleeve or a spacer, however I would have expected Ratech to do a little more homework on their product and give me all of the necessary components to swap to a spacer instead of just the shims!

I can't argue that there are good, honest mechanics out there for sure. To be frank, I have expectations / a way of doing things that I don't feel can be met or lived up to by many. I know it all too well that if you want it done right and your way, do it yourself. Plus, this stuff is fun and I keep a lot more money in my pocket!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next up was removing the pinion. 1 1/8" nut. Turns out the bolt spacing for the front and rear yokes are the same so I could use the holding tool I made for the rear (bonus!)

Once the nut and washer were off I needed to use a 2 jaw puller to yank the yoke

I lined the inside of the case with rags and smacked the pinion out with a block of wood and a sledge.

Empty case

Old Pinion with crush sleeve and bearing

The races didn't look too bad, a bit cloudy and some dings and dongs but nothing like the rear end

Used the splitter to get the old pinion bearing off

I did gouge up the factory 0.058" shim a bit doing this. Nothing a file couldn't fix. I bought a cheap 4 ton press at PA for $99 to make this job a lot easier. Plan was to return it but I will keep it, really nice little unit. I set it up like so

I kept the old pinion nut in place and pressed on it as to not mess up the pinion. I then compared the old pinion to the new one (4.56 left, 3.55 right)

There was no depth variance marking on the new pinion gear. The original had "+2" on it, so all I could do was start with the original shim and work from there.

Cut a piece of pipe out of some old fence post which happened to be just the right size to contact the inner race of the pinion bearing

For the first trial I left the carrier bearings and shims as is and put everything back in the case. Procedure is to put pinion in with both bearings and no crush sleeve, tighten pinion nut on yoke till free play is eliminated. Spread case, put carrier in (tap with a plastic dead blow), seat carrier with bearing caps then loosen bearing caps to finger tight and relieve the case by unspreading. You must unspread the case as it applies preload to the bearings and will change your backlash reading.

I quickly found that the gearset wouldn't turn as I had no backlash, so I spread again and took everything out of the case. Wasn't so lucky like I was in the rear. Time to make use of those extra carrier bearings I bought.

The original plan was to use a cylinder hone to open up the inner races of the bearings to make setup ones that just slip on and off of the carrier. Talking with the older, wiser me (dad) we concluded it would take too long to hone out hardened steel even a few thou, so we figured I should grind out the centers of the race and leave a small ridge on the extremities to hone to final size. I got out an appropriate grind stone to chew out the centers

Using a steel plate on the underside I was able to push the nose of the stone up against it as a guide and work around the circumference of the ID.

Now that the centers were no longer working bits, I used the hone to work the two small strips remaining

Took about 10 mins of honing which would have easily tripled if I was honing the whole race. Trial and error fit here until you get a nice snug fit. Finished setup bearing:

Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Those clamshell pullers are nifty units and a definately a price that matches. Looking at the tool and its functioning, correct me if I am wrong but I believe it does not provide a splitting function, but acts only as a puller. On both the Chrysler 9.25" carrier and the D44 I have found the OD of the inner race of the carrier bearings to be the same if not smaller than the flange they butt up against. Here is a pic of the D44 carrier bearing inner race still on with the cage and rollers removed:

You literally need a knife edge to get in between to first separate, then you would be able to use the clamshell. I'm sure there are many carriers out there where the inner race is exposed and read to grab on to, but unfortunately not these ones. I tried using my splitter to separate on the rear but I ended up scarring up the case slightly and couldn't get in between, so I cut them. I grabbed a cheap table top press as well so the separator worked great in conjunction.

About the solid spacer, I have no problem using either a crush sleeve or a spacer, however I would have expected Ratech to do a little more homework on their product and give me all of the necessary components to swap to a spacer instead of just the shims!

I can't argue that there are good, honest mechanics out there for sure. To be frank, I have expectations / a way of doing things that I don't feel can be met or lived up to by many. I know it all too well that if you want it done right and your way, do it yourself. Plus, this stuff is fun and I keep a lot more money in my pocket!
Oxy,
I have yet to run into a bearing that I couldn't pull off a pinion gear or a diff. I have done D44, D60, 8.8, D30, D35 & a few others. I guess I have just been lucky so far. It is what it is made for.

I use to do axles in the dealerships I worked at and now I just do them for buddies and such. I really enjoy it too so I understand that part.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Joelmichelle#1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Thanks guys, really happy with the outcome after a lot of hard work. Still lots ahead of me for the front. I have always been interested in fixing things since I was a kid and I'm thrilled I could get a gear swap under my belt.

HeyYou, I was able to borrow both the magnetic base and the Mitutoyo dial indicator, however the setup can be had pretty inexpensively at Princess Auto or Harbor Freight. The same base I used is $12.99 and a dial indicator (however not a Mitutoyo) is $14.99 at HF. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a cheapo gauge to do this job if I had to.

Also noticed my speedo is waaaay off. Tried searching online to find out what speedo gear was in the truck and ended up just yanking it off. Found out I have a 30 tooth pinion gear

Attachment 35157

Attachment 35158

Took a peek in the transfer case to see what the gear reduction was. The drive gear is a blue 13 toother

Attachment 35159

I took the truck for a spin yesterday and compared the indicated speed to GPS. At 90 km/h indicated I was running 75 km/h on the GPS, and at 120 km/h I was running 100 km/h on the GPS. That makes the speedo high by a factor of 1.2.

The reduction ratio currently in the truck is 30/13 = 2.308

Multiply that by the correction factor 2.308x1.2 = 2.769

Now multiplying by the # of drive gear teeth gives me the number of pinion gear teeth I need so 2.769 x 13 = 36

After searching I found I needed a Crown automotive red gear with PN 52067635. Went to the dealer and they wanted...............wait for it.............. $240 for a stupid little speedo gear. I told the guy I was insulted and promptly walked out.

Tried to see if I could head to the junkyard and yank a gear from a vehicle that came with a 36 tooth gear from the factory. Looks like 96-99 Cherokees and Grand Cherokees have a 36 tooth gear, but only when equipped with a 3.70 rear end (which I'm guessing is fairly uncommon). My junkyard listed two 99 Cherokees that came in ~ 2 months ago, plus its a far drive and my luck usually sucks so I resorted to finding the best price I could online. $39 shipped off eBay was good enough for me so I should get it in the next week or two.
Could of sworn you said you never did this before. You sure sound like a damn professional to me guy.

Quick Reply: My 4.56 Gear Swap