2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

E-fan Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-fan Installation

Sorry I couldn't upload my post earlier but I was having issues with logging onto DF...Here's my post on my e-fans from FF Dynamics.
First thing I did was drained all the coolant from the upper and lower radiator hoses and from the radiator. I also drained the windshield washer reservoir. I then cut some bolts from work to remove the fan since I don't have any special tools for the job. I believe they are 5/16" bolts, the length is around 1.5 to 1 9/16" long. I just eyeballed them from my old bolts.

I put the bolts into two holes beside each other on the water pump and "wedge" or pried on the bolts with a pry bar downwards on the driver's side, my dad held the pry bar. I took a pipe wrench and pushed downwards on the passenger side. Make sure you push downward so the wrench grabs the fan nut.

Mounting the fans: The directions are pretty easy and straight forward. I drilled holes into the top of my radiator just as the directions say to do. Make sure you watch the position of the drill bit as the nuts you are given for the bolts are almost the exact size as the top portion of the radiator. I had to round a few holes out so the nuts were flush. After everything was said and done I realized I didn't need to mount the fans up to the top of the radiator. You are given enough locking zip ties to center the fans on the radiator. Woops :/ even though I put mine up top, they still cool just as good. So don't fret if you do the same as me.

My fans are offset since the top of the radiator isn't flush, you can see the red spot is an uneven surface.

Here are my fans mounted up.

The wiring part wasn't too bad, except for finding a 12V Ignition Switched Wire for the fan power. I found one wire on my ABS harness connector? I think that's the connector..but here's a pic of the wire, it's maroonish with a black line. For wiring I'll probably want more butt connector/splices, some more red 14-16 gauge wire, heat shrink for 18-14 gauge and a cut-in splice(for the a/c wire).

The a/c power wire I found is dark blue with a black line. You need to tap into that wire so the fans can run when the a/c is turned on. The mounting spots were kind of stressful too but I got it done. I mounted one relay by the firewall and one by the battery. For the big relay I used 1/4" or smaller bolts I had laying around to mount it to the panel. The other relay I used an 1/4" bolt for mounting. I put the smaller relay by the battery since it was the best location, it was out of the way, and the relay doesn't have a lot of wire length since you connect this relay to the fan wires.

Here is my zip tie job, I'll tidying it up later but it was getting too cold to do a good job.

If you went my route and mounted the fans to the top of the radiator, you'll have to trim the shroud a bit so the fans fit.

Later down the road I might make some reservoir mounts for my side reservoirs and remove my shroud but for now it'll do till warmer weather Overall I'm happy with my purchase and installation. I have my fans set to 197-200 and thats when they kick in and they do a good job cooling. My truck warms up faster as well. I can feel a little more kick in the seat when I drive and for mileage gain, I haven't found out yet but Ill post when I do. Any questions ask, I hope this helps out future installations

Last edited by Blue Mopar01; 11-12-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet!

Are they loud?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Nope I can only hear them when I have my hood open...lol my truck is too loud otherwise to really hear the fans. I hope this write up is good, it's really my first time doing one.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I never really thought about the truck heating up faster by not turning the mechanical fan all the time. That would be really nice right about now!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Yeah it's really nice! It's about 5 minutes faster to warm up, even faster if it's not too cold out.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! I like what you did with the bolts and prybar to get the fan loose. In the past, I've ended up taking the fan and the water pump out at the same time. That's not fun!

Is there any downside to electric fans? Could they get clogged up with mud easier than the mechanical one?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Cool! I like what you did with the bolts and prybar to get the fan loose. In the past, I've ended up taking the fan and the water pump out at the same time. That's not fun!

Is there any downside to electric fans? Could they get clogged up with mud easier than the mechanical one?
Radiator would clog up first. That's something you would notice.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I'd assume the fans wouldn't get clogged since I have my shroud on still, they're set up high, and right up against the radiator vs. the fan sticking away but the pry bar with those bolts is by far the best way i've ever used to take the fan off. The idea just popped into my head.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are these holding up?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

So far so good. No issues that I've noticed and still cooling awesome.

Quick Reply: E-fan Installation