2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

quotes for complete paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:53 PM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quotes for complete paint

So I scoured the internet to find out what people were paying for complete paint jobs...and I couldn't find anything recent. I found a million people ask the question...but no real answers other than:

1) don't do maaco
2) it's more than you think it will be
3) you can do it yourself for like 10% that price

Basically I found those 3 comments like 1000times on the internet.

So I went out and got some estimates. I'm documenting them here so that the next guy who googles it has some kind of ball park.

Where: central Oklahoma/OKC metro
What: 1999 Ram 2500 = single color PRC. Millions of little nicks but only 2-3 very small dents.

2 quotes for right about $6,000.
These guys both pull off headlights, tail lights, door handles, trim around windows.
both said they would address the little dents.
quote A - pulled glass in front and back. Also included replacement badging, and trim.
quote B - didn't pull glass in front and back and said "if you go get the badging you want, I'll stick it on there...I might be able to save the existing badging"
Both of them said they would need the truck nearly a month. Both said they would need a few weeks to a month to schedule it, even start on it.
Take it down, sand it, shoot primer, some layers of color, some layers of clear coat.

Quote C - for right about $3000.
fix dents, sand down, primer, coats of color, coats of clear coat.
Rather than pull and replace trim they talked about taping it off...when I said "nah, I don't think so" they said I could buy it and they could mount it...same with badging.
They don't really pull anything off, but mask/tape.
They said they could do it next week, take it in on Monday, done by Friday.

None of them are chain places...B and C are both owner operated smaller operations. A is locally owned but I doubt the owner is in the building or participates in day to day operations.

I've dealt with A before. They did some insured work on my daughters fender bender. They have been around a long time, and warranty their work for the time you own the vehicle (and still live close enough to bring it back to them...I won't live in Oklahoma forever!)

there you go internet...there's some details for the next guy who puts "complete paint 2nd gen Ram" into the magical google machine.

-Ray

Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a verbal quote of $6k a couple years ago. I laughed all the way out of the parking lot.

Who would be crazy enough to spend twice the value of the truck on a paint job? I can paint my whole house for a third of that.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

nothing wrong with a maaco paint job IF you can do the prep yourself and strip off things they would have to tape up.
you can save yourself a lot of money if you take a day to strip and then put it back together when you get it back.

another option, if you have a local vo-tech maybe pop in and check with the body shop teacher

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Prep work is most of the price if they do it right then the cost of the paint.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:13 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Also worth saying I called for a ballpark figure and was told by a couple a minimum price of 8-10k. I was told by many more "we don't do completes". Apparently the insurance claim business is too good to be bothered with it.

The votech is an interesting idea.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:18 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Prep work is most of the price if they do it right then the cost of the paint.
The fact that the shops that take many things off of the truck rather than mask charged twice was not lost on me. It's most interesting that those shops need the truck for 3-4 weeks...half price place does it in 3-4 days.

The truck has had a paint job where things were poorly masked and the lines are pretty easy to find. The interior is immaculate, and it's only got 70k miles. I'm thinking want a job that would match up against that quality.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

A maaco $300 paint job for my 20+ year old truck is fine with me....

Old 11-04-2017, 09:17 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Having worked at a body shop and having friends in the business I can tell you that 6k isn't unreasonable if they do all the prep correctly. The 8-10k isn't bad depending on how they spray it (layers and wet sanding in between). Its all up too you and how picky you are. If you don't mind tiger stripes (more of an issue with metallics) and dirt nibs sure $300-400 is fine. I am far to picky for that though, if I'm having it painted I want great prep and lots of clear so I can buff it for years and not worry about it getting to thin.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:18 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Different folks want different things from their truck and likewise it's paint.

My near 20 year old truck is 50/50 function and toy. You might only paint a tool so it doesn't rust. You paint a toy because you have fun playing with it.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I crossed a threshold last week when I went 4-wheeling for the first time in the mountains. Got scratches all over both sides. But since the clear went a couple years ago, I can't complain. She's an old girl but still looks good and has those great 2nd gen lines

Sure, I'd love a gorgeous $8k paint job someday but it's just not reasonable. I've watched vids on dipping the truck or doing repair work myself. Might look into that soon. Who knows.