2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:32 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That would probably make a good comparison, since that is what most of these trucks seem to be. Just be ready for a nice weekend drive from your area to mine... All expenses paid (by you lol).

Any ways, I keep trying to load my couple of cam pictures, but the internet is . The more i mess with photobucket, the dummer i pheel.

Still waiting on word about my heads from odessa, and my throttle body from Richard. Hopefully the weather you folks in the east are getting isn't causing too much grief.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hurry up frankie!!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Hurry up frankie!!
I'm hurrying like a herd of turtles buddy. Lol

Question for the peanut gallery... what injectors? I don't know enough about these to make a decent (decent=any) decision. I want to run 24 lbs/hr pencil stream (or maybe 4 hole with the new heads?), flow matched... but I'm not having any luck finding them.
I've read other posts talking about the Bosch 4 hole injectors, but when looking for the part number I'm coming up blank. If anyone has a good part number, or just some info about injectors (dimensions, type, resistance....) please post it up.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Best bet would be to have a chat with a speed shop, and see what they recommend. Even hughes should be able to clue you in... (and sell you injectors as well.....) Make sure your tuner knows what injectors you have though.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Once you get a part#, check prices at MotorMan.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Frankie,
Bump that number up to 30lb injectors. Also you will want to go from 2 1/2" Y pipe into a 3" pipe all the way to the back. Couple of guys that did 408 builds on my Jeepforum that started off with 2 1/2" exhaust said they could feel the engine being chocked down. Then when they went to 3" exhaust they where all amazed at how much power they picked up. They were going to up the size of the throttle bodies next but I hadn't heard if they had gotten the funds yet. They were both running 52mm TB's. Both of these were basically stock engines too just to add to your want/need list.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to 30lbs. I suggest fiveomotorsports.com for injectors. I avoid Hughes junk like the plague. 52mm tb minimum, I'd prob go with an F&B 53x55mm oval bore though. +1 to 3" pipe.

I got me some EQs recently too! Ported, 2.08 intake valves, springs good for .600, .050 shaved, at .500 sitting at about 300cfm.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by dapepper9
+1 to 30lbs. I suggest fiveomotorsports.com for injectors. I avoid Hughes junk like the plague. 52mm tb minimum, I'd prob go with an F&B 53x55mm oval bore though. +1 to 3" pipe.

I got me some EQs recently too! Ported, 2.08 intake valves, springs good for .600, .050 shaved, at .500 sitting at about 300cfm.
Congrats on the EQs. Thanks for the fiveo site. It finally gave me some info i had been trying to find. I ordered a 52mm tb from Richard at HiPoTec. It should be in the mail box today.
I'm curious, what troubles have you had with hughes? I've seen several complaints, but most are older reviews. I have good luck with them, so far.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Frankie,
Bump that number up to 30lb injectors. Also you will want to go from 2 1/2" Y pipe into a 3" pipe all the way to the back. Couple of guys that did 408 builds on my Jeepforum that started off with 2 1/2" exhaust said they could feel the engine being chocked down. Then when they went to 3" exhaust they where all amazed at how much power they picked up. They were going to up the size of the throttle bodies next but I hadn't heard if they had gotten the funds yet. They were both running 52mm TB's. Both of these were basically stock engines too just to add to your want/need list.
Wildman, Thanks for the info. My current exhaust is the stock y-pipe to a 3" adapter, cat removed, 2 mufflers with about 20" of 3" pipe between, then turned out under truck before the axle.
It's a cobbled mess, but i was using what i had in the yard. I actually like the sound of it now though. Nice rumble with out being obnoxious, and no droning running down the highway.
If you hear how their bigger TBs work out, please let me know. I might up-size down the road... after headers and such.

Originally Posted by Spillage
Once you get a part#, check prices at MotorMan.
Thanks for the link Spillage. Good prices from what I've seen so far.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Best bet would be to have a chat with a speed shop, and see what they recommend. Even hughes should be able to clue you in... (and sell you injectors as well.....) Make sure your tuner knows what injectors you have though.
Whom ever does the tuning for me on this is probably going to be pulling their hair out.

Speaking of tuners, i would like to hear pros and cons of flying ryan and sean at hemifever, or anyone else that tunes SCT. I bought an sct x3 from sean some time ago, and wasn't impressed with his service skills.
It seemed like it was a major bother for him to fix a faulty tune (trouble codes and occasional no run). I don't know if my lack of knowledge was what made him like that, or if he is like that with everyone. After we got the tune fixed he told me anything else at all would be a custom tune, and he would charge accordingly. The only working "canned" tune is the 91 octane. The others still don't work right. These all have the auto trans delete too.
This is why i would like to hear about different sct tuner people.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

I think the two you named are the only ones that do it regularly for us. I hear a lot of good things about Ryan, no direct experience with either though. And yes, you ARE going to need a custom tune, so, no matter which way you go, it's gonna be more money. Since you bought your tuner from Hemifever, he might be a less expensive option..... Wouldn't hurt to have a chat with both, and see who you are more comfy going with.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isnt hemifever notorious for not being able to tune a 408??

If you have the tuner, I do not think it matters if you decided to switched who tunes for you. You will have to pay for custom tunes either way.

Quick Reply: 408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)