2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:15 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
Congrats on the EQs. Thanks for the fiveo site. It finally gave me some info i had been trying to find. I ordered a 52mm tb from Richard at HiPoTec. It should be in the mail box today.
I'm curious, what troubles have you had with hughes? I've seen several complaints, but most are older reviews. I have good luck with them, so far.

Wildman, Thanks for the info. My current exhaust is the stock y-pipe to a 3" adapter, cat removed, 2 mufflers with about 20" of 3" pipe between, then turned out under truck before the axle.
It's a cobbled mess, but i was using what i had in the yard. I actually like the sound of it now though. Nice rumble with out being obnoxious, and no droning running down the highway.
If you hear how their bigger TBs work out, please let me know. I might up-size down the road... after headers and such.

Thanks for the link Spillage. Good prices from what I've seen so far.

Whom ever does the tuning for me on this is probably going to be pulling their hair out.

Speaking of tuners, i would like to hear pros and cons of flying ryan and sean at hemifever, or anyone else that tunes SCT. I bought an sct x3 from sean some time ago, and wasn't impressed with his service skills.
It seemed like it was a major bother for him to fix a faulty tune (trouble codes and occasional no run). I don't know if my lack of knowledge was what made him like that, or if he is like that with everyone. After we got the tune fixed he told me anything else at all would be a custom tune, and he would charge accordingly. The only working "canned" tune is the 91 octane. The others still don't work right. These all have the auto trans delete too.
This is why i would like to hear about different sct tuner people.
FiveO has good products and does good work.
Hughes is a liar and a cheat:
1. Big Gulp is stock below the bore. His claims of 1007cfm are bs because F&B 53x55mm oval bore tb (equivalent to dual 56mm round bores) flows 980cfm. Maybe with boost that ported stocker might flow 1007cfm
2. AirGap doesn't perform as well as m1 and costs more than the m1, even with the m1 being out of production. Better than kegger yes, but not $600 + modification needed better.
3. cams are regrinds
4. Aluminum plate: plate isn't the root cause of our plenum issues but bad gasket is.

SCT FlyinRyan is the way to go. He can do anything from a stock truck to twin turbo bottle fed 408 stroker. Sean doesn't even datalog or take a/f ratio into consideration. He's just pissing in the wind. I've seen trucks with only major upgrade being intake headers and cam that he can't even tune. Only downside to Ryan is that because he does it right, he costs more and you need a wideband 02 and can often come off as an *** because he is super busy and gets annoyed having to explain everything so anybody can understand it sometimes.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Isnt hemifever notorious for not being able to tune a 408??

If you have the tuner, I do not think it matters if you decided to switched who tunes for you. You will have to pay for custom tunes either way.
That guy can't tune a n/a 360.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick update, my 52mm TB is in my greedy little hands. Looks good, especially without the big Holly stamp on top ;-).

I budgeted about $300 for tuning this motor, so hopefully that will cover it. If not it will just take a little longer to finish. This is the wide band I plan on getting Glowshift wide band w/data port. If you guys see a reason this won't work, please speak up.

Originally Posted by dapepper9
FiveO has good products and does good work.
Hughes is a liar and a cheat:
1. Big Gulp is stock below the bore. His claims of 1007cfm are bs because F&B 53x55mm oval bore tb (equivalent to dual 56mm round bores) flows 980cfm. Maybe with boost that ported stocker might flow 1007cfm
2. AirGap doesn't perform as well as m1 and costs more than the m1, even with the m1 being out of production. Better than kegger yes, but not $600 + modification needed better.
3. cams are regrinds
4. Aluminum plate: plate isn't the root cause of our plenum issues but bad gasket is.
Thanks for clarifying that. As for plenum issues... that's a whole other topic for debate. Lol

SCT FlyinRyan is the way to go....

can often come off as an ***
I've come to expect that from people who are good at what they do in the engine world. Pretty rare to find one who actually enjoys teaching the ignorant masses.

After the trouble I had with hemifever with canned tunes, I tend to agree that he's not a good option. It makes me feel better knowing others have had similar problems.

Thank you guys for your input on this stuff. It helps me alot since I'm out in the sticks where I can't just show up at a shop and pick a gurus brain. I hate talking on the phone, especially when I'm not sure how to word what's on my mind.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 Dapepper, that is one of the most succint and spot on posts. Well done.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Frankie,
$300 ain't going to be enough. I forget how much Ryan said it was but I think it was around $450. The data logger I bought is a Innovate 3832 OT-2 w/LC-2 and for a gauge I am going to be running a AEM 30-4110 AFR Wideband. If you go with Ryan he is going to suggest to you that you get the Innovate data logger.

Wildman

Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have a link to this flynryan guy?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts
Old 01-31-2016, 01:45 AM
dapepper9
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
+1 Dapepper, that is one of the most succint and spot on posts. Well done.
Thank you sir!
Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I bought an sct x3 from sean some time ago...
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Frankie,
$300 ain't going to be enough. I forget how much Ryan said it was but I think it was around $450. The data logger I bought is a Innovate 3832 OT-2 w/LC-2 and for a gauge I am going to be running a AEM 30-4110 AFR Wideband. If you go with Ryan he is going to suggest to you that you get the Innovate data logger.

Wildman
Just needs the wideband as the x3 can do the datalogging. Tuning for N/A is $335 for 10 revisions or 30 days, whichever comes first.
Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Does anyone have a link to this flynryan guy?
Originally Posted by HeyYou
airram.com is where he tunes through. He also has a FB page: FlyingRyanPerformance for tech info and showcasing his work, which is quite impressive. For example, there's a Jeep GC with 408 that competes in desert racing and king of the hammers type stuff.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:47 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Frankie,

Wildman
Thanks Wildman. I was thinking the $450 was buying the SCT also, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Memory is about as long a few other things that don't need to be mentioned. Lol
Its been a while since I looked at my tuner, but I believe it has 2 USB inputs for logging, that was why I chose the gauge I did. Either way I'll talk with Ryan before buying one.

Hey you, thanks for the email address. I thought I had it, but realized I don't this evening. Great timing on your part.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:51 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Thanks Pepper. We were typing at the same time. Obviously I'm a speed typer. Lol

Quick Reply: 408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)