2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Kind of a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 AM
BryanLZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of a new guy

Hey members,

I've been lurking for long time and have made a few posts, but never really introduced myself. I know you guys a lot better than you know me.

I bought a '97 1500 Sport mainly to haul firewood for the winter, but the more I drove the truck the more I liked it. So I thought I would throw a little money her way. It started innocent enough.... fix this here, replace that there. Well, roughly $8500 later I think I am finally getting close to where I want her to be. It's been a journey filled with many late nights, a lot of cussing and frustration, some "WTF was Dodge thinking!!" moments and countless hours on this site. I think I even broke down and cried once. But in the end I have a truck I am proud of and I did it my way.

Anyway, my latest project on the truck was to upgrade the brakes. One of the first things I did to the truck when I bought it was to go through the brake system so it was in good shape to begin with, but they always seemed a little weak. Especially with a load. So I went ahead and swapped out the stock calipers with 2500LD's and the 3500 Chevrolet wheel cylinders in the back. Let me say this to anybody that is hesitating on this upgrade.... JUST DO IT!! I was worried about some fitment issues and other problems that I would come across with a retrofit, but there was none. At all. Everything was a direct bolt on just like the new components were supposed to go there. And now the truck stops like I would expect a truck to stop. After everything I have done to this truck (basically resurrecting it) this was by far the best bang for my buck and it didn't cost me any more than it would have to replace everything with stock components.

Anyway, just reaching out to you guys and giving a big Thanks for everything I've learned here.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanLZ
Hey members,

I've been lurking for long time and have made a few posts, but never really introduced myself. I know you guys a lot better than you know me.

I bought a '97 1500 Sport mainly to haul firewood for the winter, but the more I drove the truck the more I liked it. So I thought I would throw a little money her way. It started innocent enough.... fix this here, replace that there. Well, roughly $8500 later I think I am finally getting close to where I want her to be. It's been a journey filled with many late nights, a lot of cussing and frustration, some "WTF was Dodge thinking!!" moments and countless hours on this site. I think I even broke down and cried once. But in the end I have a truck I am proud of and I did it my way.

Anyway, my latest project on the truck was to upgrade the brakes. One of the first things I did to the truck when I bought it was to go through the brake system so it was in good shape to begin with, but they always seemed a little weak. Especially with a load. So I went ahead and swapped out the stock calipers with 2500LD's and the 3500 Chevrolet wheel cylinders in the back. Let me say this to anybody that is hesitating on this upgrade.... JUST DO IT!! I was worried about some fitment issues and other problems that I would come across with a retrofit, but there was none. At all. Everything was a direct bolt on just like the new components were supposed to go there. And now the truck stops like I would expect a truck to stop. After everything I have done to this truck (basically resurrecting it) this was by far the best bang for my buck and it didn't cost me any more than it would have to replace everything with stock components.

Anyway, just reaching out to you guys and giving a big Thanks for everything I've learned here.
Ah yes, scope creep.

It's an addiction ya know. I hear there is a 12 step program for it, but, I have never been willing to admit I have a problem.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always nice to know that another of these old trucks is getting a new lease on life rather than just a longer crawl to the wrecking yard.

Only $8500? You ain't done yet!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
BryanLZ

Your right... I still have more to do. But I have to start getting sneaky, the wife is starting to give me the evil eye.

Unfortunately that total doesn't include the original purchase price. I'm well into 5 figures on this truck, but I'm damn proud of it. And as the saying goes, "If I want it, I don't have to justify it."

Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Unfortunately that total doesn't include the original purchase price. I'm well into 5 figures on this truck
It's easy enough to do, even if the truck was received as a gift.

The neat thing about these old Rams is that they're a great base for making a really very good truck and they make it obvious that there's a much better truck hiding inside the one you bought. That's why it's addicting: They reward you for letting the better truck out.

Worse things could happen. Not many addictions reward you with a truck.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
BryanLZ

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Worse things could happen. Not many addictions reward you with a truck.
Very well said. As HeyYou mentioned earlier, there is a 12 step program. Well, I've been through the real 12 steps and am coming up on two years sober. As it turns out, this project truck became the distraction I needed so I could focus on recovery.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

As it turns out, this project truck became the distraction I needed so I could focus on recovery.
Navel-gazing is among the worst addictions of all. Good on ya for finding something else to look at, man!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

LOLOL its an addiction.. over paid for my SS/T last august because it was a garage queen and recently hit the $8500 mark myself with the interior work BUT on a happy note I AM JUST ABOUT DONE!!! just need the shift kit in the trans ( spine shot so I cant do it myself ) and I do want a cat back exhaust so probably another $1k to completion

Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
over paid for my SS/T last august because it was a garage queen
Unless you just went completely silly, you probably didn't overpay at all. The time and money that get wasted on daily driver builds is that put into replacing things that would have served you well if they weren't already broken or ugly when you got them. Buy the garage queen and you're way ahead of the game right from the start.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Unless you just went completely silly, you probably didn't overpay at all. The time and money that get wasted on daily driver builds is that put into replacing things that would have served you well if they weren't already broken or ugly when you got them. Buy the garage queen and you're way ahead of the game right from the start.

I use over payment as a relative term.. basically I think the 2nd gen is the best looking pickup dodge has ever made and to find an original owner garage kept all but 1 winter of its life truck I would have shelled out even more to get it...

the plenum repair job was expected BUT the rear end complete overhaul was a kick in the pants a couple weeks after purchase as the damn thing didn't make a sound when we test drove it or it could have been another negotiating point..

long story short though, I have the truck I want and NO MONTHLY PAYMENTS

Quick Reply: Kind of a new guy