2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Off road package rant/rave

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Well after a year of searching for a 1500 off road package I gave up when I saw this

So, did you buy it?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

While that big boy is impressive, you didn't really search hard enough for an ORE. There have been several for sale in the NW as 2nd gens are very common out west. Short flight to Seattle and awesome drive back to ND. But hope that new rig works for you.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ORE and I love it. The 4:10 gears are great, the skids plates are excellent, etc. However, the LSD in the rear ends are pretty crappy (just a fair warning. They aren't reliable.) I'd definitely buy an ORE over the standard model if they were similar in price. However at the $3-4000 premium that you are talking about you could re gear a standard model, put a better LSD in, and put skid plates on it for about half of the price difference. That's the way I'd go if I couldn't find a reasonably priced ORE.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:34 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
While that big boy is impressive, you didn't really search hard enough for an ORE. There have been several for sale in the NW as 2nd gens are very common out west. Short flight to Seattle and awesome drive back to ND. But hope that new rig works for you.
I hate flying, all the stupid and really reckless things I have done that could've possibly gotten me killed (don't ask for details, it wasn't exactly "legal" some of these things) I can't handle flying. Last time I was on a plane I cried like a b****. As I get older it just gets worse, back in high school I even got to fly a Cessna through our aviation program you know the whole conquer your fears thing and I was fine, then didn't fly for another 8 yrs which led to the above incident. So it had to be in reasonable driving range, like 7-10hrs, basically a weekend trip. I did check Seattle a couple times and I couldn't find one. There were a couple n that 5-8hr drive range but I couldn't get to them in time. After a year I was just so tired of looking though.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I have the ORE and I love it. The 4:10 gears are great, the skids plates are excellent, etc. However, the LSD in the rear ends are pretty crappy (just a fair warning. They aren't reliable.) I'd definitely buy an ORE over the standard model if they were similar in price. However at the $3-4000 premium that you are talking about you could re gear a standard model, put a better LSD in, and put skid plates on it for about half of the price difference. That's the way I'd go if I couldn't find a reasonably priced ORE.
I was thinking about that but then the v10 idea popped in my head and they are cheaper around here than the 1500 if both are in decent shape that is.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Offroad ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y'all are getting raped.

I picked up my ore for $550 and only needed a trans, axle u joints, rotors, and inspection.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Not joking a few years ago when the oil boom hit ND hard any truck that ran was $1000, if it drove $1500, if it ran and drove plus 4wd $2000, didn't matter how big of a Piece of $### it was. Craziest thing you have ever seen. McDonalds went from $9/hr starting to $13hr here. Other areas in the heart of the oil boom it was $18/hr or more starting at Mcdonalds. It has finally settled down but it totally devastated the used truck market here.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:03 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

So after a few years and having to pass up on two ORE rams with sport package, both came for sale within 2 weeks of each other and under 90k miles one white and one black, due to financial reasons. I am looking again for an ORE sport as my GTP got totaled and I now have insurance money burning the proverbial hole in my pocket.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Opportunity knocks.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope you get one.

Quick Reply: Off road package rant/rave