2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Replacement headlight housings

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
The AM lights have yellowed or the stock ones?

I just noticed moisture in my driver's assy only after 20 years of use. Not bad. But I'm not getting junk. Shoot, I'll spring for OEM if they're still under 200 and much better than aftermarket. Wait. . . is that what AM is? AfterMarket? ugh
I put a set of the AM-autoparts headlights on my 96. 8 years later, they still look brand new. I like them so much, they were the first things I ordered for my 98. I really couldn't tell the difference between the aftermarket, and stock fellers. Mirrors, on the other hand.... the shiny black coating peeled of within a year.....

Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, they're cheaper than "various mfg" at rockauto. I sure hope they are still good. I have learned in my 40 years that OEM is almost always a much better product.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AM lights have yellowed or the stock ones?

I just noticed moisture in my driver's assy only after 20 years of use. Not bad. But I'm not getting junk. Shoot, I'll spring for OEM if they're still under 200 and much better than aftermarket. Wait. . . is that what AM is? AfterMarket? ugh
the stock ones keep yellowing so I went with the AM .. hey you is the man and if says they are good " they ARE good "

Old 12-11-2018, 03:03 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, just received and installed the "AM" housings. They are actually made in Taiwan and are definitely not OEM but we'll see how they do. The driver's side was a pain and I had to remove my grille guard and the plastic top trim of the bumper. Everything installed fine from there. Not much brighter if at all but nice and clear. Also came with bulbs but I threw in a new set I had ready.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, I find it amusing that they specifically state "no bulbs" in the ads, but, every set I have gotten from them, came with bulbs..... First set I bought went in my 96. 7 years later, they still look new. Second set went in my 98, been in there for a about 2 years. No problems.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I had to do something as it's getting very dangerous to drive at night with all the new vehicles blinding me constantly. Last year I had one bulb die on my trip home to MN so I got Hella blue lights from Napa. They say "off road only" LOL. Also grabbed a regular Napa replacement set. Now I have another set from AM. So I guess I won't worry about lights this year but I need to compete with the traffic so more LEDs are probably on the way. Every road out here is two lane blacktop and when it rains, you can't see anything, then all the new cars blind me anyway. And there's lots of idiots that drive constantly with brights on. But for 50 bucks, these new housings should help.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Mine were severely yellowed, to the point that at night, I could see just as well with the headlights OFF.......... so, new housings, HD harness from LMC truck, and new bulbs. Re-aim the headlights, and WOW, MAJOR difference.

I still have issues in the rain at night, but, that's just because my night vision is fading in any event. (age, and MS not doing me any favors.......) But, it's not like I actually NEED to be out in that kind of weather on a regular basis.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Yeah, it isn't fun out here. The trees line the roads like a tunnel, the roads are black and it rains constantly. So if you don't have the brightest lights, you can be in trouble. I really want to mount some massive spots that I can flip on at people who leave their brights on and blind them at the last second before they pass! hehehe

My housings never got that bad. They were very clear until about 2013 then I did the 3M kit which helped immensely. Then again about 2 years after that but I clear-coated them. I would've left them this time except for the water in the lens. Not even sure how that happens but there was a good half inch at the bottom.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:46 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Yeah, it isn't fun out here. The trees line the roads like a tunnel, the roads are black and it rains constantly. So if you don't have the brightest lights, you can be in trouble. I really want to mount some massive spots that I can flip on at people who leave their brights on and blind them at the last second before they pass! hehehe

My housings never got that bad. They were very clear until about 2013 then I did the 3M kit which helped immensely. Then again about 2 years after that but I clear-coated them. I would've left them this time except for the water in the lens. Not even sure how that happens but there was a good half inch at the bottom.
Usually bad sealing around the lens. You could have fixed that for $8 if you could put the headlights in an oven. I bought SPEC-D projector lights from eBay for $125 shipped. The hid bulbs we're junk so I bought OPT7 55W kit with relays kit for $100 and now my headlights are so bright I get flashed thinking my high beams are on. Had them on for about a year and no yellowing or leaks whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I may need to look into that. These blue Hellas are no brighter than anything I've had before. Last night it was raining and with all the crazy LEDs on newer cars blinding me, I just guessed where the road was. And even though I'm lifted, little cars will blind me in the rearview so bad I think I'm getting pulled over.

Do you have links to proper HID setups? There's such a sea of options out there I don't know where to start. Thanks.