2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

anyone have lines on 97 Ram SS/Ts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
the shop that they took it to for the rear diagnosed a DEFINITE pinion noise ( which I said ) , pulled the cover but nothing was visible
so now I am in limbo waiting for the insurance company to go look as they need to give authorization for them to tear it down
further.
Ya aren't gonna see squat on the pinion from the back. Need to tear it down, then the bad bearings will be obvious.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:30 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ya aren't gonna see squat on the pinion from the back. Need to tear it down, then the bad bearings will be obvious.
ohh I know , 2 years ago I actually had a grinding and that's why I paid for the rebuild.. that time it was the inner pinion which had come apart and tore up the race
been beautiful for nearly 4k miles then once it got hit back comes a pinion noise..

since the rear was struck so hard and moved forward and contacted the front of wheel well I imagine it forced the crush sleeve in to the front pinion bearing
and its probably where the issue is..
going to call the body shop again today and see what they say, haven't been back in touch with the insurance company yet but im thinking another call
is due

Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

I ended up eating the cost to fix the rear.. state farm said no proof that the damage was done in the accident EVEN with my receipt proving that it was rebuilt
2 years and less than 3800 miles ago..

got tired of arguing so I told the INSURANCE CO to go F*&K themselves as I have been without my truck for just under 6 weeks and its getting COLD here..

spoke with owner of shop and he said he would take care of me as best as he could since he knew I was getting the shaft from the insurance company
long story short new pinion bearing set and crush sleeve. reset the backlash $400 out of pocket and I am back on the road and hoping no other
problems materialize in the rear..

body/paint came out great and I am SUPER happy with that.. will try to get some photos today

Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Time to find a new insurance company?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Time to find a new insurance company?
if it was my insurance company it would have been done.. since I didn't have full coverage
I was at the mercy of the person that hit my truck and it was state farm insurance..

best part is the guy at the transmission / diff shop I know as he has done work for me in the past
he said when their adjuster ( not the body shop adjuster ) came to look at my truck he made a comment
that they just should have totaled it and he told me he said to the guy REALLY??..

" why don't you look the truck over first and THEN tell me you would total it "

after seeing how clean and rust free he digressed and said to him

" OK I see why we fixed it now "

BUT they still refused to pay because it had no outward signs of damage

Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
if it was my insurance company it would have been done.. since I didn't have full coverage
I was at the mercy of the person that hit my truck and it was state farm insurance..

best part is the guy at the transmission / diff shop I know as he has done work for me in the past
he said when their adjuster ( not the body shop adjuster ) came to look at my truck he made a comment
that they just should have totaled it and he told me he said to the guy REALLY??..

" why don't you look the truck over first and THEN tell me you would total it "

after seeing how clean and rust free he digressed and said to him

" OK I see why we fixed it now "

BUT they still refused to pay because it had no outward signs of damage
And the video of the car HITTING the axle surely couldn't have caused any damage........ Just an adjuster cheaping out. Not like it is HIS money he is spending.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:50 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

And the video of the car HITTING the axle surely couldn't have caused any damage........ Just an adjuster cheaping out. Not like it is HIS money he is spending.
exactly.. as the old saying goes IT IS WHAT IT IS..

got her back, changed the oil as it was due while it was in body shop and then put 50 miles ... so far so good other than the left rear shock is squeaking like crazy
on every bump now BUT of course IM SURE they wouldn't own up to that either if told about it.. SO I ordered new rear shocks and will install them next week when
it warms back up here some.. unseasonably cold today and tomorrow and I don't feel like laying on the ground