2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

98 Ram Starting and Idling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram Starting and Idling Issue

Hey guys. I have got a real frustrating one. I have a 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9. The motor is bone stock except for: 52mm throttle body, MSD ignition coil, MSD 8.0mm wires. I have recently replaced the wires, cap and rotor, and spark plugs (Champion Coppers), with the new upgraded MSD parts. The truck will do this completely at random. When I get in the truck to start it, it will sometimes decide it just doesn't want to start. Each time i turn the key, it will crank for not even a half second then quit. It will do this for up to 10 or 15 times and then will fire up. When it does start, it will not idle until i rev the engine up to at least 3K and hold it at rpm for at least 30 seconds, then it will idle, like a charge issue. It will then idle and run fine for however long I drive it and won't act up when driving. Then I will park it at work or school, wherever I'm at, and it will sit for 5 or 6 hours and fire up first try no issues and run fine. OR it will do the same thing as above. There is no pattern or trend to when it does this, making it hard to figure out. It did throw a code for "Idle Control System Malfunction" (p0505) but it will go away a couple starts later, and then come back a couple starts after that. My shop teacher was kind enough to give me a brand new throttle body with IAC, TPS, and MAP sensor included. I first swapped the IAC to my 52 and this did not help. I then swapped over the MAP and TPS but still no change. The previous owner was an idiot and converted it to a side post battery terminal and stripped out the ground bolt. I replaced this bolt and the connection seems rock solid when i grab it and try and wiggle it. The positive side is also rock solid. The battery is 6 months old and passed a battery test including while under load with 200 CCAs over the rating of 660. This one has seriously got me stumped and any help you guys have is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking there's a possible fuel issue or crank position sensor but I really don't know on this one. Again, any help is appreciated because this is seriously frustrating. I want some advice before I go throwing parts at it.

ALSO: Alternator is only charging at 13 volts, if this will effect anything.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

So, it will fire for a few seconds, and quit? Or, it will crank for a few seconds, and quit?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:50 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So, it will fire for a few seconds, and quit? Or, it will crank for a few seconds, and quit?
It will crank for about a half second then quit. Then after 10 or 15 times of doing this it will fire up, but wont idle til i rev it up and hold it

Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would try swapping the starter relay with another one, and see if that didn't change anything.

I suspect more than one problem there though......

Old 11-08-2017, 01:15 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

I would try swapping the starter relay with another one, and see if that didn't change anything.

I suspect more than one problem there though......
I'll give that a shot but i have the suspicion there's more than one answer too. I just want an idea before I go throwing new parts at it.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Troubleshoot first, then buy parts.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:33 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Troubleshoot first, then buy parts.
You sir, are a genius. I switched starter relay with the blower motor relay and it has fired up great all day. Not sure if its a permanent fix, but she seems good for now.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I usually use the horn relay. Not like my horn works worth a darn anyway. (I can barely hear it when sitting still, anything over about 25, and I can't hear it at all, I won't use it out in public, as it would be too embarrassing. )