2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Price Check: 2001 Ram 2500 24v Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:51 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Check: 2001 Ram 2500 24v Cummins

Hey guys,

What do you think of the price of this? I have been wanting to get a Cummins for a while now, so I am in the market.

Price seems high to me given the year and milage. I know diesels run forever, but the other parts don't!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...83169022173218

Old 12-06-2017, 12:33 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Shoot, that's a steal.

Out here in the PNW, any cummins is at least high teens no matter the mileage. Most 2nd gens are selling for 18k plus!

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 AM
rayaa3
Professional

So, having recently done a lot of truck shopping...

I was looking at 2nd gens with less than 200K, 4x4, 2500s:
IF the truck has good paint, no rust, and a clean interior - no rips and an intact dashboard...

Yes, in less than 200K the cummins, the price it fetches should be in the teens. Their is adjustment for color...the flame red original paint gets the most (remember the movie twister)...red would get 17K pretty easy if extremely clean. I saw a red with 100K that was extremely clean go for 24K.

The trucks are not quite collector's items, but they are nostalgia pieces. They are becoming "they don't make them like that anymore" trucks....and they don't.

The lower prices are still available:

miles over 250K starts to lower price on the diesel
white and silver are more commonly available and drastically reduce price (2 trucks in same condition, red might be 17K, white might be 13K).
rust has a big impact on price

if looking at the V10, you can basically subtract 5-10K from the truck price compared to a similar diesel.

I looked all over the country before I bought my truck, I looked at the diesels - bought a v10 for the savings....I don't drive much...so the 10mpg doesn't hurt so much.

use autotrader to do a nationwide search, and pay close attention to condition..keep in mind most dealerships will deliberately take pictures that don't point out rust.

however, autotrader tends to have the higher priced pickups. You can do a nationwide search on craigslist using a site called search tempest...here, this link has a search built in for all 50 states, "ram 24v cummins" look at listings across many cities and get an idea what they are going for...

https://www.searchtempest.com/search...7Cctd%7Ccto%29

if the link doesn't work go to www.searchtempest.com and setup a craigslist search for multiple cities, takes a little practice to get your search terms correct to find the results you want...

-Ray

Last edited by rayaa3; 12-06-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaa3
So, having recently done a lot of truck shopping...

I was looking at 2nd gens with less than 200K, 4x4, 2500s:
IF the truck has good paint, no rust, and a clean interior - no rips and an intact dashboard...

Yes, in less than 200K the cummins, the price it fetches should be in the teens. Their is adjustment for color...the flame red original paint gets the most (remember the movie twister)...red would get 17K pretty easy if extremely clean. I saw a red with 100K that was extremely clean go for 24K.

The trucks are not quite collector's items, but they are nostalgia pieces. They are becoming "they don't make them like that anymore" trucks....and they don't.

The lower prices are still available:

miles over 250K starts to lower price on the diesel
white and silver are more commonly available and drastically reduce price (2 trucks in same condition, red might be 17K, white might be 13K).
rust has a big impact on price

if looking at the V10, you can basically subtract 5-10K from the truck price compared to a similar diesel.

I looked all over the country before I bought my truck, I looked at the diesels - bought a v10 for the savings....I don't drive much...so the 10mpg doesn't hurt so much.

use autotrader to do a nationwide search, and pay close attention to condition..keep in mind most dealerships will deliberately take pictures that don't point out rust.

however, autotrader tends to have the higher priced pickups. You can do a nationwide search on craigslist using a site called search tempest...here, this link has a search built in for all 50 states, "ram 24v cummins" look at listings across many cities and get an idea what they are going for...

https://www.searchtempest.com/search...7Cctd%7Ccto%29

if the link doesn't work go to www.searchtempest.com and setup a craigslist search for multiple cities, takes a little practice to get your search terms correct to find the results you want...

-Ray
Yeah, that's a great site. Makes cruising multiple-city craigslist ads easy. If you are looking for a vehicle though, it will suggest a different site, that has better search parameters for looking for exactly what you want. Don't remember the name exactly, but, I have used it before, and it didn't give me any malware at least... and it DID help me find my truck.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:52 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

$5000 / $3 a gallon= 1666 gal x 10 miles per gal= 16,666 miles I own an Excursion with a 6.8 V10, it was nuts what a diesel would have done to the price. Then figure in higher diesel cost per gallon, maintenance costs, insurance ( if you have full coverage), and having to buy DEF if it's a newer diesel.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on region but price looks about average to high for an average truck. Looks pretty banged up, rusty and seems to have a bro-ey feel to it...I would pass. 318k is a lot of flippin miles too. No, it's not just "broken in".

Old 12-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Like I said, that trashy truck would fetch at least 15k out west. It sucks! I've wanted a clean cummins since the early 00s but they are always lined with gold or something.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

Yeah I’m prolly going to pass. I just need to find something that feels right. It’s not like I need another truck, and it’s not my daily drive. Just something I want!