2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

door speakers, std cab...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default door speakers, std cab...

So I have an ex fleet vehicle. The original radio was in it when I got it, and the front speakers (door) didn't respond. When I swapped doors, all the wiring is there for the speakers. I assumed it was the radio. I wired up an aftermarket Alpine I had waiting for a new home. Tried it, front speakers still didn't respond.

Wondering if fleet vehicles were modified to run a separate radio on the door speakers, while retaining the rear for the factory radio. I checked under and around, I don't see any splicing... Anyone hear of a fleet process that would do something like that?

I'd like to just use the factory harness if I can figure out what is going on. If I cannot get it figured out, I could just run my own wires, and cut the factory ones and tap into the harness before my adapter to get it working again.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
So I have an ex fleet vehicle. The original radio was in it when I got it, and the front speakers (door) didn't respond. When I swapped doors, all the wiring is there for the speakers. I assumed it was the radio. I wired up an aftermarket Alpine I had waiting for a new home. Tried it, front speakers still didn't respond.

Wondering if fleet vehicles were modified to run a separate radio on the door speakers, while retaining the rear for the factory radio. I checked under and around, I don't see any splicing... Anyone hear of a fleet process that would do something like that?

I'd like to just use the factory harness if I can figure out what is going on. If I cannot get it figured out, I could just run my own wires, and cut the factory ones and tap into the harness before my adapter to get it working again.

Thanks in advance.
I never heard of that but the only fleet vehicle I rode in was for my job. When you used their radio it bypassed the front speakers from playing music and played thier company radio (like a CB)

Old 08-15-2018, 12:06 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I gave up finding the issue with the front speaker wiring and just ran my own. I stuck a set of Pioneer TS-G690s 6x9s in the doors, they fit right in w/o issue.

Have a set of 6.5 round Kickers, in the mail, for the openings in the sides of the cab behind the seat. They were one of those open box deals on eBay. I expect to have to drill screw holes for those, per Crutchfield.

Had an older Alpine single DIN looking for a home, so I swapped out the radios. The mounting kit isn't very robust. It is a American International, CFK510 mounting kit. Not happy with it, but the Metra ones seem to require a DIN sleeve - I don't think I kept the sleeve for this Alpine.

Any one have suggestions for a better mounting kit for this Alpine? Its a CDE-103BT

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I gave up finding the issue with the front speaker wiring and just ran my own. I stuck a set of Pioneer TS-G690s 6x9s in the doors, they fit right in w/o issue.

Have a set of 6.5 round Kickers, in the mail, for the openings in the sides of the cab behind the seat. They were one of those open box deals on eBay. I expect to have to drill screw holes for those, per Crutchfield.

Had an older Alpine single DIN looking for a home, so I swapped out the radios. The mounting kit isn't very robust. It is a American International, CFK510 mounting kit. Not happy with it, but the Metra ones seem to require a DIN sleeve - I don't think I kept the sleeve for this Alpine.

Any one have suggestions for a better mounting kit for this Alpine? Its a CDE-103BT

Thanks!
That is too my only knowledge the two kits you can get. I thought about putting 6.5 in my quad cab but was told you have to cut the metal other say they fit, I'm not sure. Do you have any knowledge on that? You could go to your local Walmart (mine isn't so local or I would check for you it's 4 hours away) but the Metra install kit and if it don't work you can return it. If you have trans you can bend in the top and bottom of the radio it should work..

Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That is too my only knowledge the two kits you can get. I thought about putting 6.5 in my quad cab but was told you have to cut the metal other say they fit, I'm not sure. Do you have any knowledge on that? You could go to your local Walmart (mine isn't so local or I would check for you it's 4 hours away) but the Metra install kit and if it don't work you can return it. If you have trans you can bend in the top and bottom of the radio it should work..
I started putting a rear speaker in my standard cab, its a Kicker 6.5 round speaker, 44KSC6504. Crutchfield link, although I bought open box from ebay at a discount.

You must at a minimum drill a couple holes. I drilled two holes, one I could use the backing nut (because it was close to the speaker hole). The other is too far away from the speaker hole to use that backing nut.... Seems like a good excuse to buy a nut insert rivet tool. I think if I were to do it again, just buy the 5.25 set that bolts right in using the factory hardware. I'm already committed...

I ordered a new radio mount kit. Then, after searching around a while, I found a reseller that has made the instructions available on that AI kit. Seems like I may have cut off too much of the extra tabs. They seemed to be in the way, and without guidance... anyway that is my excuse. UPS will deliver a
Metra 99-6501 Metra 99-6501
kit today.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 08-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I started putting a rear speaker in my standard cab, its a Kicker 6.5 round speaker, 44KSC6504. Crutchfield link, although I bought open box from ebay at a discount.

You must at a minimum drill a couple holes. I drilled two holes, one I could use the backing nut (because it was close to the speaker hole). The other is too far away from the speaker hole to use that backing nut.... Seems like a good excuse to buy a nut insert rivet tool. I think if I were to do it again, just buy the 5.25 set that bolts right in using the factory hardware. I'm already committed...

I ordered a new radio mount kit. Then, after searching around a while, I found a reseller that has made the instructions available on that AI kit. Seems like I may have cut off too much of the extra tabs. They seemed to be in the way, and without guidance... anyway that is my excuse. UPS will deliver a Metra 99-6501 kit today.
So you are saying the 6.5 speakers aren't worth it. And good luck!

Old 08-17-2018, 03:38 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Pretty much. It would be my preference to be in and done quickly. We're talking about an extra inch of woofer, how much difference will it make sitting near the floor behind the seat?

I think if you're going to spend extra, spend it on the front speakers that you're exposed to without obstruction. Problem is, the window track is pretty close to the opening. I had a set of 6x9 large magnet Kickers sitting around, I tried those in the doors - nope. There are guides for what fits, pick the best one that fits the opening and get onto other more important projects :-)

Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Pretty much. It would be my preference to be in and done quickly. We're talking about an extra inch of woofer, how much difference will it make sitting near the floor behind the seat?

I think if you're going to spend extra, spend it on the front speakers that you're exposed to without obstruction. Problem is, the window track is pretty close to the opening. I had a set of 6x9 large magnet Kickers sitting around, I tried those in the doors - nope. There are guides for what fits, pick the best one that fits the opening and get onto other more important projects :-)
I really don't know speakers and I'm not into a lot of bass. Just really loud music that has a little bit of bass. I tried talking to a local shop (apparently it depends on your headunit to) and they said they'll need the truck for 1 week because they will try different speakers hook it up to a machine to see if they are a good pair for the headunit) for about $1850 and I said nope. So I still have the factory speakers and tweeters

Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I usually just upgrade the speakers in the stock locations and toss in an inexpensive, but decently featured, receiver. I have added amplifiers and equalizers in the past. If you want it really loud, get an amplifier that puts out RMS that is a little under your speakers. I don't go for the subwoofers or tubes, not into that stuff at all. Equalizers let you tune the waveform going to your speakers to your particular tastes. Most of the ones I buy are 45w receivers. What I put into this truck was $30 a pair for front speakers, $33 a pair for the rears... a wire kit for the receiver so its easily removable, and a receiver mounting kit. I did buy a nut insert tool from Harbor Freight today, to mount those rear speakers... even so, I'd say I'm under $100 out of pocket. Crutchfield has a receiver similar and brand new for 100, and they include the wiring adapter and mounting. It has blue tooth so you're handsfree with your phone (microphone included that goes up the windshield pillar).

Old 08-18-2018, 03:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I usually just upgrade the speakers in the stock locations and toss in an inexpensive, but decently featured, receiver. I have added amplifiers and equalizers in the past. If you want it really loud, get an amplifier that puts out RMS that is a little under your speakers. I don't go for the subwoofers or tubes, not into that stuff at all. Equalizers let you tune the waveform going to your speakers to your particular tastes. Most of the ones I buy are 45w receivers. What I put into this truck was $30 a pair for front speakers, $33 a pair for the rears... a wire kit for the receiver so its easily removable, and a receiver mounting kit. I did buy a nut insert tool from Harbor Freight today, to mount those rear speakers... even so, I'd say I'm under $100 out of pocket. Crutchfield has a receiver similar and brand new for 100, and they include the wiring adapter and mounting. It has blue tooth so you're handsfree with your phone (microphone included that goes up the windshield pillar).
I have an alpine bluetooth reciever installed and with the loudness on medium, slant set to +3 and hpf filter set to 80 -12 I can't go above 35 without the sound getting distorted so I need to look into speakers. I had the handsfree feature I ran the mic right up next to the overhead console

Quick Reply: door speakers, std cab...