2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

360 Magnum/408 stroker MPFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:18 AM
RamDamage
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to decide which heads I will go with. Also whether or not I will be able to find an M1 intake whether its the 4bbl, 2bbl, or if Im gonna settle on an airgap. I need to find out how much air the intake stroke will pull before any saturation occurs and base my lift and duration off that. Am i right?I'll more than likely go with a larger lobe separation on the cam, 112 maybe? Do I want a slight overlap in the 408? If I got the right cam I don't think I'd need to do anything to the heads and get those chevy style rockers. Maybe do the adjustable rockers later on if I ever wanted to supercharge it.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What you first need to decide, is WHERE do you want your power? If you want to use your truck AS a truck, then you want bottom end grunt, if you are just going for big HP numbers.... well, then you can pretty much do whatever ya like.

So, what do you actually want to DO with your truck?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM
RamDamage
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What you first need to decide, is WHERE do you want your power? If you want to use your truck AS a truck, then you want bottom end grunt, if you are just going for big HP numbers.... well, then you can pretty much do whatever ya like.

So, what do you actually want to DO with your truck?
I want kind of in between. I want just as much power off the line as I can so I can give myself whiplash, but also to keep that going. I wanna beat mostly anything that pulls up next to me. I don't care if I go over 120, I'm not drag racing. Spinning tires is cool but I'd rather grip the road and be gone

Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's gunna be a tough nut to crack. Consider: you have a truck that is pushing close to 6000 pounds. Just about ANYTHING is going to be able beat you, regardless of what you do. Another problem you are going to have is traction. Unloaded, even in stock form, you could likely spin the tires all day long, without much effort at all.

Now, that said, if you just wanna do stoplight to stoplight, build for low-end power, and your truck will still be useful as a truck. For anything longer, you want to start with a different vehicle. (I.E. NOT a truck.....)

Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM
RamDamage
Amateur

Stoplight to stoplight sounds about right. I haven't had any other input honestly so I appreciate it. Take off speed would be my primary focus

Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What kind of budget is you looking at here?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 AM
RamDamage
Amateur

Obviously I would like to save money as much as possible, but when it comes to parts I will not sacrifice performance for money. Ultimately whatever it takes because I would rather have my truck rebuilt exactly how I want it than go buy a $60k truck that I will out run in mine after it's finished.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wait for dodge to stick the hellcat motor in the trucks. (rumor has it, that's coming......)

So, build for torque. You likely won't have *high* numbers..... but, it will beat the snot out of stock. Go with the Air Gap manifold, simply because it is easier to find. An "RV" cam, designed for power from off-idle, to as high as you can get. (generally 4500-5000 rpm) or, 1000 or so up to wherever. Some EQ Monster magnum heads. (stick with the 1.94 intake valves, the better flow characteristics are worth it.) Shorty headers, off-road y-pipe, (if you can get away with it, emissions testing in your area?) 3" single exhaust, with the muffler of your choice. (for this particular application, the muffler will have zero affect on power output. So, quiet, or loud, it's all the same.)

If you have a good machine shop nearby, some port work (manifold and heads) wouldn't hurt you either. 50 or 52mm throttle body, high flow air filter (CAI is a waste of money in this case, the stock system already draws cold air), and a good custom tune.

Stock bottom end is pretty stout. Think I would stick with stock compression ratio, as it is already in the neighborhood of 9:1.....

You can do the same, but, go for the 408 stroker (which, if that's the case, go for the 2.02 valves in the heads....).... but, that's a lot of expense, and I don't think the additional power from the bigger cubes is really worth it. That's up to you though. (and your budget. )

Hardest part is going to be getting it all dialed in. So, look forward to spending on the equipment to do data logging, and a wideband O2 sensor as well. (I think the tuner itself will do data logging, and likely has an input for the wideband as well.)

Gotta get ready for work now. Doing afternoons this week. Life is fun......

Old 08-20-2018, 12:32 PM
RamDamage
Amateur

I can't imagine how much that truck will cost lol..

My block is already bored and has a 4 inch stoker kit with I beams and scat aluminum pistons, camshaft I listed before. I didn't pick the cam, it was already in there. I'll check out what you suggested and be back.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:46 PM
RamDamage
Amateur

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10200701k

Is this in the ballpark?

Quick Reply: 360 Magnum/408 stroker MPFI