2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Differential Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:03 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Biggest thing with aftermarket covers are that they have the following: magnet to pick up metal shavings, fill hole and drain hole, and usually a place to put a temp sensor in. Now sure you could add all that (other then the magnet?) to the factory cover. But the average person doesn't have the know how.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Biggest thing with aftermarket covers are that they have the following: magnet to pick up metal shavings, fill hole and drain hole, and usually a place to put a temp sensor in. Now sure you could add all that (other then the magnet?) to the factory cover. But the average person doesn't have the know how.

See my earlier post. The aftermarket covers appear to be doing more harm than good.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Gary-L
See my earlier post. The aftermarket covers appear to be doing more harm than good.
I understand that and I watched the videos and agree. What I'm saying is if I just bought the truck and want to add a diff temp sensor. Sure I could pay a shop $85 (around here) to drill a hole tap it or weld a nut on the cover. Or I could spend $325 and get all of the above that was mentioned. I called a local shop and asked how much to install a temp sensor hole, fill hole, and add a magnet to my rear diff. $465 is what they quoted me. I can but an aftermarket cover for $200. I added all that to my rear diff for less then $40. But the average Joe can't or won't do that. So that is why aftermarket diffs we'll continue to grow no matter how much damage is done, and it's kind of sad imho

Old 11-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I understand that and I watched the videos and agree. What I'm saying is if I just bought the truck and want to add a diff temp sensor. Sure I could pay a shop $85 (around here) to drill a hole tap it or weld a nut on the cover. Or I could spend $325 and get all of the above that was mentioned. I called a local shop and asked how much to install a temp sensor hole, fill hole, and add a magnet to my rear diff. $465 is what they quoted me. I can but an aftermarket cover for $200. I added all that to my rear diff for less then $40. But the average Joe can't or won't do that. So that is why aftermarket diffs we'll continue to grow no matter how much damage is done, and it's kind of sad imho
I see. That depends on the skill of the person, which is understandable. My approach would be to get a cover from a boneyard and then have it modified for sensors and a drain plug. That way, the modified cover could be replaced at the same time as the fluid is serviced (yeah, like anyone follows that schedule!) I'd still stay away from the aftermarket covers because of the very reasons Gale shows, being the aeration of the fluid and the starving of the pinion bearing.

Still waiting for the next video to see his results.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Gary-L
I see. That depends on the skill of the person, which is understandable. My approach would be to get a cover from a boneyard and then have it modified for sensors and a drain plug. That way, the modified cover could be replaced at the same time as the fluid is serviced (yeah, like anyone follows that schedule!) I'd still stay away from the aftermarket covers because of the very reasons Gale shows, being the aeration of the fluid and the starving of the pinion bearing.

Still waiting for the next video to see his results.
Oh I agree with staying away from aftermarket covers (except tranny pans). 99% of people don't have the skill to do what I mentioned, so they sadly go with an aftermarket cover.
​​​​​​

Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another video is out. I just knew he was going to bring a better product to market. I'm in.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Given the amount of testing he has done, he should be able to come up with a great design, that actually works. I question the idea of putting the cooling fin intake on the bottom though...... Especially on a truck that see off-road duty.... Seems to me, putting those on top would be a better idea......

Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Most daily drivers towing even wheeling is not going to see 300 degrees so for most it's not an issue. There are a few other covers that he didn't test that addressed the problems with the aftermarket diff covers that he did test. His cover looks impressive but the price will probably be $300 and only available for dana 60-80.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Gary-L
Legend

I don't think the fins will be a problem with off-road trucks since most of them are lifted. I bet they're stronger than one might think, plus Gale probably took that into consideration.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Only issue I could see with his cover on a TRUE Off-road rig is it could interfere with the yolk/cover skid plate

Quick Reply: Differential Covers