2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Well it’s a bitter sweet kind of day

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Big Jeff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well it’s a bitter sweet kind of day

Today I sold my 2001 Dodge Ram which we bought in 2004 with 42K miles on it. That’s right fifteen years with 205,000 miles on it and was still running scary good! I wanted to write this mainly to give praise to the Lord for providing us with reliable transportation threw the years. Also, for the ability to avoid costly repairs by sticking to preventative maintenance and by using the Dodgeforum.com! A personnel testimony of how the Lord provides. Thanks guys!

The following users liked this post:
2bit (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats? Or, blessings? Not sure how to best respond but yes, I also believe God has blessed my truck with over 250k on it all these years driving. What did you get instead?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Big Jeff

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Congrats? Or, blessings? Not sure how to best respond but yes, I also believe God has blessed my truck with over 250k on it all these years driving. What did you get instead?
Well you guys won't like me. After twenty-five years of two Dodges I went with a Tundra. I was reluctant to go with a newer ram after reading all the nightmare stories with the electronics, radio, the “Hemi- tick” and other things I made my decision.

The Tundra’s weakness is fuel economy, but everything else about them seems reliable. I’m glad I was able to sell my Ram to a younger guy because I know he got a deal and looking forward to helping with any future issues he might have. His girlfriend was pretty excited about the log book I kept on all the maintenance.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:18 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jeff
Well you guys won't like me. After twenty-five years of two Dodges I went with a Tundra. I was reluctant to go with a newer ram after reading all the nightmare stories with the electronics, radio, the “Hemi- tick” and other things I made my decision.

The Tundra’s weakness is fuel economy, but everything else about them seems reliable. I’m glad I was able to sell my Ram to a younger guy because I know he got a deal and looking forward to helping with any future issues he might have. His girlfriend was pretty excited about the log book I kept on all the maintenance.

You might want to check online about the engine in your Tundra. Depending on the year, some engines have an issue with sludge in the oil pan.Toyota had major issues with V-6 Toyota and Lexus cars in the late 90's and up with small ports on the pistons getting sludge the the Tundras had it in the oil pans. Not all of them but after looking it up, I passed on one locally at a dealer and a month later the engine had a loss of oil pressure. A lot of Toyota pickups had major premature rusting issues on the frames too.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 09-30-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn
Big Jeff (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you fell. I had a caravan that had 270,000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran great.

Big Jeff (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Nothing wrong with the new Rams. All you read about is the tick which has been an issue since 2003 when it debuted and it's usually the header bolts. I don't read anything about electrical issues. At least they aren't vibrating like chevies or shutting down on the hwy like fords. What about our generation trucks? Good grief: plenum gasket, constant pinging, plugged cat, death wobble, steering wander, cracked dash, blown LSD, auto trans issues, etc, etc, etc. Everything has its problems. Just admit it the Tundra looked better to you. No shame in that. They are actually the only truck left that still has the "bigrig" style Dodge debuted in 1994. Best of luck. And thanks for not bragging that Toyotas are American because they aren't. Hope it lasts a long time like your Dodge did.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey partner different strokes for different folks. YOUR money spend it how YOU like. I have no problems with my new Rams though other then the manifold bolts but fixed that with headers and better bolts. Hope it treats you well!

Big Jeff (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:04 PM
Big Jeff

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Nothing wrong with the new Rams. All you read about is the tick which has been an issue since 2003 when it debuted and it's usually the header bolts. I don't read anything about electrical issues. At least they aren't vibrating like chevies or shutting down on the hwy like fords. What about our generation trucks? Good grief: plenum gasket, constant pinging, plugged cat, death wobble, steering wander, cracked dash, blown LSD, auto trans issues, etc, etc, etc. Everything has its problems. Just admit it the Tundra looked better to you. No shame in that. They are actually the only truck left that still has the "bigrig" style Dodge debuted in 1994. Best of luck. And thanks for not bragging that Toyotas are American because they aren't. Hope it lasts a long time like your Dodge did.
Well a had one of the good Rams, never had the transmission go out! Previously I bought a new Dakota and the transmission went out three times! Fortunately all covered under the warranty. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Jennemarie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How Much?

Say Partner, How much did you get for that great-running Dodge? I'm asking because, one, I'm curious to know if I was being treated fairly when I first bought my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2-WD full sized pick up truck for $7100 @ 105,000 miles.
Two, how much should I sell it for now, with 210,000 miles added on?

Quick Reply: Well it’s a bitter sweet kind of day