2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:08 AM
RS Pylman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2 or 4 wheel drive? What do you want to do with the truck? (how do you use it?)
Yes. 8)

Although it's an automatic transmission, it has a floor shift lever for 2 / 4 wd. I know my dad occasionally put it in 4, when he needed to, but so far? I haven't needed to.

Unfortunately, the 8.0 is never going to do much better than 12 mpg on the freeway. (flat, straight, cruise engaged) It is a beast of a motor, with an appetite to match.
I understand that. Currently, it's my "drive to Long John Silver's on Sunday while the fish-hating wife is off being churchy" truck. But I'm buying a patch of ground in the high desert, middle of nowhere, Arizona. It's my / our intention to build an off-grid fortress hacienda hermitage in a few years. We're planning to retire out there, read a lot of books, and watch the coyotes run. But first? We gotta build it. So I'll be usin' the truck to haul construction schtuph.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

If you steering is sloppy, see if you can find where the slop is. There are two different linkages used on these trucks, the inverted Y, and the T steering. (though, both look like "Y"s to me.....) The T steering will have a the tie bar going from on steering knuckle to the other, the Y steering has a link from the steering box to the passenger side knuckle, and another link from that one, over to the drivers knuckle. Steering boxes are notorious for being sloppy, and the T steering has a problem with tie-rod roll. (turning the steering wheel just rolls the tie rod first, giving you a dead spot in your steering.....) See which ya got, go from there.

For gas mileage, (I would never even consider calling it 'fuel economy', as there is nothing 'economic' about it......) best thing is to make sure all the maintenance is up to date. Plugs/wires/air filter/etc. Synthetic lube in the differentials helps a bit too. Keeping your tire pressure where they should be is another consideration. Tire size vs gear ratio vs what kind of roads you drive on matters as well. Going larger than stock will get you better gas mileage on the freeway. Smaller tires will be better around town. Should find out what gears you have in there now, and size your tires accordingly.

Quick Reply: What? Why?