2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 03:02 PM
96BigTex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage

I have 250k on the original engine and transmission in my 96 5.9l. The trany just now started acting up. It wont go in reverse and it drives forward in neutral. Stays in gear even when in park. Only goes in neutral when you shut the truck off. Engine still runs amazing. I used to have to take a bit to start it, but figured out it just needed the throttle body cleaned. Love these trucks. Transmission I can do myself, so it doesnt really cost much and that engine will reach 300k I'm sure.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Lots of good resources on the web for the DIY trans rebuild. Several members here have done their own, and they had never been inside an auto trans before. (couple threads around here about it as well. Just the thread in the DIY section about just this topic for links to some good resources.

The following users liked this post:
96BigTex (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 PM
96BigTex
Default 46re Transmission rebuild

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lots of good resources on the web for the DIY trans rebuild. Several members here have done their own, and they had never been inside an auto trans before. (couple threads around here about it as well. Just the thread in the DIY section about just this topic for links to some good resources.
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the threads and see if its something I'm comfortable doing. Never torn down a v8 trans before, but never a better time to learn I guess😂.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96BigTex
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the threads and see if its something I'm comfortable doing. Never torn down a v8 trans before, but never a better time to learn I guess😂.
Hey, what's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work..... You can still re-use most of the parts on the second attempt.

Some folks have went and bought a junkyard trans to rebuild, so they can still drive their truck while it's in process. Then it's just a quick swap when the time comes. (and you are in a lot less of a hurry as well..... unless your trans is already dead. )

Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 PM
96BigTex

Yeah.....its sorta dead 😄. It only drives forward and park doesnt really work. Sometimes it wont go forward at all. Reverse isnt even in the picture. My buddy said he will buy me a new trans if I let him crack my old one open, so I guess its a win win in my situation. That is a junkyard trans with lower miles of course. Around my area, you can get one for $132! Got my alternator from there and it was $32. It was brand new too. Saved about $50-60 there.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like a deal I wouldn't be able to refuse.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:56 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Put a Sonnax Surecure kit in the new one.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:12 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sonnax Zip Kit is the replacement for the Surecure kit and has been discontinued and VERY hard to find. I searched and called when I did mine last year or so and couldn't find one even though the seller insisted it was a Surecure kit. If you see a Surecure kit most of the time it's the Zip kit, look at the parts list. I sunk $1200 in parts to rebuild mine. It's just me, if it has to be replaced, build it better. And yes, You can rebuild it.

Quick Reply: Mileage